The Man Who Saved the World - October 27, 1962 (bet U never heard of him)

by fulltimestudent 19 Replies latest social current

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I read some great science fiction story where aliens were waiting after World War 2 for the people of Earth to nearly destroy the planet. They said it "always happens" on a planet and then "they" step in and take over, basically enslaving the planet for their own good.

But in this case, it didn't happen. They couldn't figure these humans out. So they got tired of waiting and came in to take over anyway. Only because we never wiped ourselves out, we came together and kicked their asses.

Our history has seemed like that. We fight and kill each other, but when we need each other, we come together.

A salute to Vasily Alexandrovich Arhhipov and others like him in the forgotten pages of history- the humans who decided not to do it.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I thought it was the X-Men who saved us?

• Nambo
    Nambo

It was just a couple of years after this when one of the older boys in the home convinced us younger ones that if Russia got to the Moon before America, they were going to use the Atomic bomb on us, no logic to this but when you are 5 gullibility ensured from that moment on, we felt us if we were standing under the Sword of Damocles.

And then when we went to school, Infants still, we would be shown horrific films of people melting with advice on how to survive a Nuclear attack by taking a door off its hinges so you could shelter under it.

As a child, I was in mortal fear of a coming armageddon long before I ever heard of the Jehovahs Witnesses.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I've read so many varying histories from the top people on both sides. A Cuban friend said the worst that would have happened would be land war in Cuba. I was certain the world would end. My mom sent me to elementary school after making a big deal that the Soviet ship was going to intercept the U.S. blockade in an hour. I begged to die at home. No such luck.

All we did at school was listen to propaganda and practice air raid drills. Imagine grade school kids in Newark, NJ ( a few miles from Manhattan) croucihng and covering our faces with our hands and elbows. HA! We'd be dead immediately. Feel sorry for the suckers in Vermont who might live.

It is not my area of expertise but the books and articles I've read in poli sci lately say it was very serious but not as serious as the U.S. propaganda.

Of course, now we know the Soviet Union's worries (valid ones) and strategy. It is easy to look back with hindsight and say it would not be the end of the world.

I consistently read that the U.S. moved missiles, aimed at the Soviet Union, into Turkey. JFK earlier decided to remove them. The Soviets were outraged that the missiles remained. Kennedy was shocked to find out the missiles were still in Turkey. Also, the Soviets studied Kennedy the man for years before he was elected. They saw a dilletante, playboy Senator who rarely showed up for work. His affairs with East German spies were well known to the Soviets. They figured he would cave at the slightest provocation. They were surprised. If Nixon were elected, there may not have been a stalemate. Kennedy was their favorite for president. Kennedy grew up quickly.

• dgp
    dgp

I think Arhhipov showed a lot more common sense and humanity than everybody else involved.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

My folks were on the island through all of this. Had things gone nuclear, Cuba would have been a smoldering pile of embers.

• Glander
    Glander

Kennedy was a reckless cowboy. He got away with it because Kruschev wasn't as stupid as him.

• poppers
    poppers

I remember the Cuban missile crisis vividly even though I was 11 at the time. -I was scared out of my mind, and couldn't sleep for weeks. Thanks for the history lesson, fulltimestudent. It's reassuring to know that there were some level headed people on the Soviet side when it mattered the most.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

FS: your right, his name is not common in United States history books and yet he saved the World! TY for the great info, keep up the good work with your higher learning.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

FS: your right, his name is not common in United States history books and yet he saved the World! TY for the great info, keep up the good work with your higher learning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit