GOOD NEWS. UK Charity Commisssion; "No presumption that religion is for the public benefit"

by nicolaou 21 Replies latest social current

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I tweeted this link a couple of days ago but forgot to post it here .

The Uk Charity Commission has refused to renew the charitable status of the Plymouth Brethren, a cultlike sect similar to the Watchtower in so many ways. As a result, some Members of Parliament are claiming that the Commissions action is a "suppression of religion". Charlie Elphicke, Conservative MP for Dover, said that it was part of "a policy of deliberate discrimination" against faith groups. He said: "The commission is actively committed to the suppression of religion, particularly the Christian religion."

It's nice to see that the Charity Commission is standing firm and I look forward to their turning their critical attention towards our particular religion of interest!

Nic'

Original story: http://www.civilsociety.co.uk/governance/news/content/13677/charity_commission_is_anti-religion_says_tory_mp

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Nic ! we can but hope, I reckon some clarification of the Law will happen, and then the WT will make it look as though they qualify, even thogh we know they don't even give away hot drinks like the good old Plymouth Brethren.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

This is fabulous news.

• stapler99
    stapler99

If their decision sticks, they will go after other religions and could have a huge effect. Because of this, I think it is likely it will be overturned. But if they do remove charity status from some religions because of their "cult-like" nature, I think JW's are very likely to be included as well. It's quite possible that this could happen: for example, Scientology has lost recognition as a religion in some countries.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    If their decision sticks, they will go after other religions and could have a huge effect.

Uh-oh, perhaps the Watchtower is correct ... the wild beast is turning on Babylon the Great ... damn, maybe I should go back to the Kingdom Hall today.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Excellent news!

• cofty
    cofty

That is excellent news!

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

So, this is the beginning of the destruction of Babylon the Great, eh?

• Mickey mouse
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    stapler99 - "...if they do remove charity status from some religions because of their "cult-like" nature, I think JW's are very likely to be included as well. It's quite possible that this could happen: for example, Scientology has lost recognition as a religion in some countries."

You're partly right.

If they remove the WTS's charitable status, it won't be because they're "cult-like" per se, but because, well, they don't really perform any kind of charity.

As for Scientology, they've lost recognition as a religion because their shady dealings and overtly coercive nature became public knowledge and subject to litigation. Not to mention they've lost credibility because their core doctrines are batshit insane, which is argubly even more important.

Never underestimate the court of public opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit