E.T. -- A Bad Movie for Christians?

by dedalus 16 Replies latest social entertainment

• dedalus
    dedalus

I'm pretty excited about the re-release of E.T. The Extraterrestrial, because I distinctly remember not being allowed to see it when I was a child. As I recall there were too many parallels between the life of E.T. and the life of Jesus Christ -- both came from above, both healed and resurrected, both died are were themselves resurrected. I'm even pretty sure that something about the movie was written in an Awake! magazine -- can anyone find the quote?

And is anyone else looking forward to seeing this film, again or for the first time?

Dedalus

• blondie
    blondie

July 8, 1983 Awake page 27 Christ or E.T.?

E.T.—The Extra-Terrestrial burst on the scene in the United States this past summer, attracting theater audiences in record numbers. In only six weeks it grossed nearly $150 million. With spin-offs in E.T. dolls, toys and other merchandise—as well as the movie’s release in other parts of the world—it is estimated the public could spend a whopping $1 billion on E.T. Why the E.T. fever?

The movie depicts an ungainly 3-foot (90-cm)-high creature from space, stranded on earth, who befriends a ten-year-old boy named Elliott. E.T.’s friendliness and benign powers, such as healing the boy’s cut finger and bringing flowers to life, win the affection of Elliott and his family. Sadly, a wasting illness appears to take the creature’s life. But when he is inexplicably “resurrected” before Elliott’s eyes audiences cheer. His touching good-bye, when E.T.’s alien friends take him home, leaves hardly a dry eye in the theater.

Interestingly, many have noted parallels in the story to that of the life of Jesus Christ. Said Professor Albert E. Millar, Jr.: “I think the thing that struck me most was the idea of the capacity to heal, and then when E.T. died and was resurrected.” We have in E.T., then, an enchanting Messiahlike figure that gives momentary emotional release to our need for a true friend with powers greater than ours. Therein lies the movie’s great appeal.

Despite its seemingly Christian message, however, the movie subtly condones youthful misbehavior. In an early scene we find youths playing “Dungeons and Dragons” in a smoke-filled room with a lighted cigarette on the table. Later on, when E.T. gets drunk sampling beer, and Elliott in telepathic sympathy feels the effects, it is all portrayed as something cute. Further, some of the language used by these children is gross profanity. This, along with the supernatural aspects of the movie, has bothered many Christians.

Whether parents or their children see this movie is, of course, a matter of personal choice. But because of the movie’s great popularity, let us not forget that it becomes an effective vehicle for sugarcoating youthful conduct that is definitely wrong.

E.T. may be a skillfully constructed and highly entertaining movie. But it provides no substitute for our True Friend, Jesus Christ, who saves us from this dying, wicked world. After all, E.T. is make-believe. Christ is reality.

• dedalus
    dedalus

LOL! Thanks, Blondie!

E.T. may be a skillfully constructed and highly entertaining movie. But it provides no substitute for our True Friend, Jesus Christ, who saves us from this dying, wicked world. After all, E.T. is make-believe. Christ is reality.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Even if you're a Christian, this still must seem hilarious! ROTFLMAO!

Dedalus

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I remember my parents wanting me to see this, because they thought it was a great movie. Not everyone is so brainless as to think ET an unchristian movie.

Truly bizzarre.

ashi

UADNA-New Jersey Chapter-"OUR REACH IS FAR, OUR CAUSE IS JUST"

• D8TA
    D8TA

Take it from me folks, NEVER and I MEAN NEVER be drinking a Pepsi when reading something like this. It will cost you a new keyboard, and clear your sinuses at the same time.

My sides are still hurting from laughing.

D8TA

• apostate man
    apostate man

I saw the movie when it came out in the 80's(and liked it).

I wonder, does the WT have special people out there to do nothing but watch movies and tell everyone else if its ok or not? I read that article above and found it interesting that someone from WT had to watch the movie. They sure knew a lot about it. What is the process for this? Are you supposed to be thankful that they caught this evilness before you had to witness it for yourself?

Oh I get it, do as I say not as I do, right?

Remember, IT IS A MOVIE! Far much worse is on TV and I don't see anyone from WT banning televisions.

It's not so bad to finish second, because the other guy finished second to last. -A.M.
  • sleepy
    sleepy

I remmember not being allowed to see E.T.
    Boo hoo.

• dedalus
    dedalus
    I remmember not being allowed to see E.T.
    Boo hoo.

The real travesty was not being allowed to see the Star War films!

Fortunately, those were re-released in the theaters too.

Dedalus

• Scully
    Scully
    Interestingly, many have noted parallels in the story to that of the life of Jesus Christ. Said Professor Albert E. Millar, Jr.: “I think the thing that struck me most was the idea of the capacity to heal, and then when E.T. died and was resurrected.”

As if E.T. is the only story that has parallels to Jesus' life, ability to heal, and resurrection.

Isn't it true that when someone gets baptized as a JW, they make the same kind of comparison?? C'mon Governing Bawdy, get a freaking grip!! [8>]

Love, Scully
    UADNA-C (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America-Canada)

• dedalus
    dedalus

But remember, Scally ... Jesus is your True Friend, and he's Really Real. But E.T. is only Make Believe.

J.C. ... phone home!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Whew! [wipes eyes]

Dedalus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit