What makes Christians Christian??

by noni1974 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• noni1974
    noni1974

No EP I am not living a lie.

I'm not the one who came up with the idea to call the winter solstise, christmas. Christmas is a generally accepted term in our culture and although I don't believe in any gods, I do believe in celebration of togetherness with friends and helping those less fortunate than I am when I can. It just so happens to be at christmas time that this particular helping opportunity comes around.

Just because someone is not a christian and helps the homless at christmas time doesn't mean they are living a lie. Besides lots of people who aren't christians celebrate christmas. Christmas isn't a christians only hoilday anymore, it is all over the world in non christrian countries and cultures. I personally know a muslim that celibrates christmas with his children because he doesn't want them to feel left out at school when they get back in January from christmas break. He does the whole tree, gift, and christmas dinner thing (minus the ham). He doesn't use santa or christian symbols in his celebration at all. He uses winter themed decorations, snowmen and snow flakes and pretty much anything that isn't tied to religion. I also know jewish people who do both christmas and hanukkah. They don't believe in a christ at all, not even a just a messenger of god like the muslims.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

i 100% agree with christ alone.good post buddy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Christmas is about SANTA...that's why we give presents....please focus....

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Cool, I could dig taking a bullwhip and running the money changers (bankers) out of the temple (legislature) and if someone said I was Christ like for that, I would smile.

Most likely, some winger would call me a communist for that.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Technically speaking anyone that confess that Jesus is Lord, that He came in the flesh, died and was resurrescted, that He will come again, anyone that confesses that AND means it of course, is a Christian because only by the HS can one say AND believe that.

Can any person be "Christ like" and NOT be a Christian? Yes, of course.

Christ like is being compassionate for others above ourselves and anyone can be that, indeed we all SOULD be that.

To love each other and to give of each other is what it means to be "in Christ" but to confess Christ as Lord, that takes the sealing of the HS.

The thing is that many people do profess Christ as Lord But only in their words and not in their hearts and as such, their deeds that should be born of love and faith in Christ, are selfish and self-centred.

It is important to understand that by FAITH we are saved BUT by our actions are we shown to be in CHrist.

As James said, Faith without good deeds is dead and dead faith is just that, dead.

• Kevun
    Kevun

When someone asks and puts full faith in Jesus as their mediator, to forgive them of all their sins. And they accept that HE paid the price for their sins on the cross. I have personally known many "christians" that were not nice people. And have likewise known atheists that were exremely giving and nice. Being good or bad is of no effect, because attributing a christians salvation to anything that person has done or not done dilutes the work that Jesus did on the cross. There is nothing a christian can do to add to his or her salvation, but "crowns" are a different matter all together.

...This may sound bad, but it is honest. I am not sure that I have EVER done a good deed that did not have selfish intentions. Whether it be recognition of the deed, a reason to boast, or crowns. Think about that for a second. When have you done a good deed that you wanted no recognition having done? Better yet, if you have, keep it to yourself. I hope I explained that as to not make myself look horrible, just honest.

....Next time you are around someone that is still in the organization, ask them if Jesus' sacrifice paid for their "sins"(plural).

I think you may be shocked at the response.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

It should be noted that Jesus' sacrfice reconciles Us with God, it pays for THAT sin, it is not an open invite to go sinning.

With sin comes repentance and only after that, redemption In CHrist.

There is no "get out of jail free" card for the sins we commit on to others.

• Kevun
    Kevun

Thank you PSacramento, // I knew it came out wrong.....I am not sure if being nice and willfully sinning are a fair contrast, but you said it much better than me. ....lol

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Its very hard for us to do thing with no self intent, somethimes we do it just to feel good about ourselves.

The closet we get is when we are compassionate about another, when we suffer with them, it is the closest we get to understandging how CHrist suffered with Us, continues to suffer with Us.

Some may say that the ends justifies the means, but what is the end?

The lesson, I guess, is doing good for goodness sake ( as the song goes) is the highest good.

We may not always suceed in doing that, be we should strive to do wha tis right out of love for what is right ( or for the believer, out of Love for CHrist and God, the source of love and good).

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

I'm not an expert so IMO a Christian is someone who believes and follows in the Christ of the New Testament. What all that entails depends on what sect of Christianity one belongs to.

I'm not Christian because I no longer believe in the Divinity of Christ although I believe that Jesus may have been historical. I do not believe that I need a mediator to speak to God. I do not believe that I need to be "saved". I do not believe in the bible as divine or as inspired of God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit