Advice Needed on Memorial Invite!!

by dins 14 Replies latest jw friends

• dins
    dins

Today, while on the phone with my JW mother, she drops the, by the way do you want to come to the Memorial thing for the first time in I don't know how many years.

I was kind of taken aback and said that I would think about it. Obviously, I have no intention of going, but should I just say nothing, say no, or just say I don't agree with the JW doctrine at all and to attend would be hypocritical of me? Has anyone come across this yet this year?

THEN she says that she found my old NWT Bible and songbook while she was cleaning closets out and was going to give them to my son. Am I overreacting here?

Some advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

DN

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Go for mom's sake.....put a smile on her face. Also, the meeting will help reinforce why you stay away!

Also, you can report back to us on any new points or light that may come forth.........

PS: do you like wine????

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

This is what I would do:

Unles you WANT to go, respectfully decline, perhaps you already have "previous" arrangements. As far as giving your son the bible etc... I would allow that as well. You honestly think it will make a difference to your son? Tell him later what rubbish JW's are, but to go ahead and "humor" grandmother. No need to create bad blood or upset her.

Kisses,
    Moe

UADNA - FL
    Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Florida Division

• Celia
    Celia

If you can stomach it, go with your Mom, and come back and post on this board what you saw there.
    Then invite her for a nice Easter dinner, with leg of lamb and all the trimmings...
    About the WT bible, it's full of distortions, it should be destroyed.
    Unless your son knows all the lies and wants to use it to compare it with other bible versions.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Actually its sweet that your mother wants to give your old bible and songbook to you son. She's sees these items in a different light than you do. They have sentimental value for her. I would however not be found any where near the Memorial, but that's just me. It's better that your mother be aware of your convictions now and then you won't have to explain again later. Of course, its your decision to make. In case you are curious, there is nothing new you will learn. The Memorial outline for this year is on Watchtower.org and its the same old crap.

• LB
    LB
    I have no intention of going

When people ask me if I'm going I smile and say "are you kidding" and it's dropped.

Well you said you'd think about it, just let mom you ran it across your mind and decided not to go. Let it drop there.

I wouldn't care so much for mom forcefeeding your son the religion though. I'd ask for that bible and songbook back and give it the proper burial it deserves.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• tdogg
    tdogg

Tough call because the answer you give may permantly affect your relationship with mom. The safe bet is to duck and dodge like MR MOE suggested. If you are really fed up and need to let her know how you feel about the org. then go for it but be prepared to accept the consequences.

If she is giving your old books away that may be a sign that you are close to being given up on. If there is no hope for you then they will try to 'save' your son so he wont be killed even if you are nothing but bird food at the big "A".

P.S. Memorial time already? I havent got my official yearly visit yet, mabey they've given up on me!

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Moe's got a point. Humor her as long as it's just JW fluff, like going to a memorial once every ten years. You love her, it seems, so as long as you tel your son to just be respectful with the knowldge that the JW's are crazy, everyone will be happy.

Later,

Ashi

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

dins, I'm in the same boat as you are! In fact, the reason I finally found these web sites is I wanted some
    insight as to the Memorial ! That was like, three days ago, I got side-tracked by the "Bryant" thing, and UN
    thing, and ALL the info here! I'm the only one of my siblings and close relatives that was never baptized,
    I ditched the religion at 18 when I was old enough to move out. The religion caused alot of hurt in my family
    when my father was df'ed, he died about 5 years after. Anyway, I've been cool with going to the Memorial,
    just because I could handle sitting in that hall ONCE a year in order to somewhat keep the family that I had left.
    (my parents are now both deceased) I like you, have a child and I sometimes feel that for her sake, for her to
    at least KNOW her uncles, aunts, cousins (who all adore her) I should not let something as minor as going to
    the hall once a year jeopardize that. Now, I feel differently. Before I just didn't agree with the Witnesses....Now
    after seeing some of the things on these sites, I feel like I absolutely could not be comfortable stepping into
    a Kingdom Hall. And all those faces in your face inquiring WHEN you're going to come back so that YOU TOO
    may live FOREVEEEEEEEEEEER......oooh, I think it would give me the heebie-jeebies!!!! The thing is, I watched
    my father spend a good portion of his life devoted to the Society, and the end of his life, hurt and bitter, spending
    hour after hour researching the b.s. of the WTS. It's hard to know where to draw the line......After reading abused-
    lambs though, at "silentlambs," I really don't think that I would feel right about walking into that place. I guess if
    I didn't go, the ball would be in my siblings' court. If I go, I almost feel as if I'd be saying that what the org. did
    to those innocents was excusable.....What do you think?
    Peace, a dead daisy

he has

• dins
    dins

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Think I am going to politely decline. It just doesn't feel right and I don't want to get their hopes up or anything, having them think that I'll return! Plus I know they'll all talk about me anyway!

Diana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit