Annual meeting. Greek scholars please help!

by DATA-DOG 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Marked for reference as a great thread

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

By the way...What does GC stand for?

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

here in Australia it means Gold Coast, great place to holiday, shit of a place to live

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I am sure GC means " Great Crowd ". Here is a link that SPLASH provided. It contains someones notes from the annual meeting.

http://www.perimeno.ca/Annual%20Meeting%202012.pdf

• maisha
    maisha

GL has but few things on the mind -

"TOTAL CONTROL"

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I, too, agree with Phizzy, and others, that this is speaking about two outcomes and not groups of people.

Leolaia, thanks for your further exposition of the parable.

PHG

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz
    Articles and their use in Greek Language

There are two articles in Modern Greek, the definite and the indefinite. They are both inflected by gender and case, and the definite article also for number. The article agrees with the noun it modifies.

Definite article

The definite article is used frequently in Greek, such as before proper names and nouns used in an abstract sense. For example,

• Ο Αλεξανδρος ηρθε χθες (O Alexandros irthe chthes, "Alexander came yesterday")
    • Η ειλικρινεια ειναι η καλητερη πρακτικη . (I eilikrineia einai i kalyteri praktiki, "Honesty is the best policy")
    MasculineFeminineNeuter
    SingularNominativeο[o]η[i]το[to]
    Genitiveτου[tu]της[tis]του[tu]
    Accusativeτον[ton]την[tin]το[to]
    PluralNominativeοι[i]οι[i]τα[ta]
    Genitiveτων[ton]των[ton]των[ton]
    Accusativeτους[tus]τις[tis]τα[ta]
    Indefinite article

The indefinite article is identical with the numeral one and has only singular. The use of the indefinite article is not dictated by rules and the speaker can use it according to the circumstances of his speech. Indefiniteness in plural nouns is expressed by the bare noun without an article. For example,

• Αγ?ρασα ?ναν υπολογιστ? (Agorasa enan ypologisti, "I bought a computer")

However, the indefinite article is not used in Greek as often as in English because it specifically expresses the concept of "one". For example,

• Ε?ναι δικηγ?ρος (Einai dikigoros, "He is a lawyer")
    • Τι καλ? παιδ?! (Ti kalo paidi, "What a good boy!")
  • james_woods
    james_woods

Mt 24:45-47 and Lu 12, uses the definite article 'ho' with reference to F&DS. Therefore is composite and does not apply to individual anointed ones nor to GC.

Regardless of the grammer, how does he possibly know it cannot refer to the great crowd? (if it is composite)

BS meter pegged on high.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

the use of the article "Ο" is not indicative of the phrase "faithful and and discreet slave " being singular or composite ,this is unrelated .I'm waiting to see that in the Watchtower at some point .As it stands the comments made in this Annual Meetting are incoclusive . What is really evident though is that they spent the whole meeting talking about the meaning of the phrase "faithful and discreet slave" .Jehovah,Jesus ,The End ,shunning policies ,pedophila cases are not woth mentioning . As Jesus said "wisdom is proved righteous by its works" (Matthew 11:19) If they are the faithful and discreet time will tell (don't count on it )

• Weana
    Weana

This question was based on private notes of someone who attended the Annual Meeting. Maybe that person did not understand all the arguments correct, or was not able to write down all important aspects. As we do not know the exact line of argumentation, IMHO it's useless to discuss such specifica before we can base our discussion on "official" sources like a WT study article.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit