Are J.W's obsesed with their statis??

by karter 28 Replies latest jw friends

• karter
    karter

I went to a J.W funeral and saw some people i used to hang out with many years ago and they all seemed to want to tell me if they or any member of their family were Elders,M.S's,pioneers ect.

Karter.

• hoser
    hoser
    Yes they are obsessed with their status. That's all they have in life.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

Do you mean status?

Matthew 6

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. ...

• Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup

Generally people you meet after a few years of not seeing each other will fill you in on what has become of their life: "I'm a nurse now...I married and got divorced...I have 2 kids etc.."

IMO, most jws also only have that to fill you in. Even if they mention other things, this is more important for them as it shows you in your face that "they have been doing well".

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

To be fair it's just their form of establishing a social status. People tend to mix with with people of similar social, economic and political views. Employment is often used as to establish common ground and hierarchy. In dubland this holds true as well however the predominate social acceptance benchmarks are based around "spiritual" standing which is measured by having a title in the congregation. It's a simple way of establishing the credentials of someone new and vetting them.

The fact it's just a way of prejudging someone, has no real link to spirituality and ignores the fact you can get on with people that don't agree with you on everything passes your average JW right by but is really just a form of social behaviour that is manifest in pretty much every population group in the world.

• zeb
    zeb

"Yes they are obsessed with their status. That's all they have in life."

I agree.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes they are...and also witnesses thrive on their "kingdom privileges", so they go to great lengths explaining 'how well they are doing' in the faith / cong etc...

It is so that they get "WELL DONE" expressions from others....

Vanity at its best...and lack of self esteem evident....

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

they all seemed to want to tell me if they or any member

of their family were Elders, M.S's, pioneers ect.

Image result for isn't that special

Doc

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    They thrive off of status. Have you ever seen two Mothers discussing their 20ish yr. old sons. "Oh, mines at Bethel." Oh mines a need Greater." It's too funny. I feel like saying, "mine has a well paying job with benefits, top that you freeloaders."
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Humans are status-oriented; it's how we evolved.

Ironic, really, considering how the WTS denies evolution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit