Books to study before baptism

by QueenWitch 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

I'm doing a blog post on dedication and baptism. Is there a comprehensive list of the books needed to study and the years in effect? I was baptized in 1992 and I think one of the books were United in Worship...(blue book). I can't remember what the other book was.

• blondie
    blondie

I'm sure the bible won't be on that list.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I was baptized in 1974 and was supposed to read "Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God" and I think "Babylon the Great has Fallen, God's Kingdom Rules." Talk about dry! I was just shy of 15 and could not bring myself to read either one.

I had studied the "Truth" book and "True Peace and Security - From What Source?"

• Caminante
    Caminante

In 1992 there was the Live Forever a.k.a. Paradise book (full title You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth), released 1982, revised 1989. It was used as the primary Bible study aid until 1995, when the Knowledge book (Knowledge That Leads to Everlasting Life) was released. The Knowledge book was eventually superseded by the current Bible Teach book (What Does the Bible Really Teach?), published in 2005 with two illustrations updated in the 2006 reprint.

After completing this first Bible study aid, the student (even if baptized by the time they finished this first book) would go on studying a second book. Indeed in the '80s and up to 2002 this was the United in Worship of the Only True God, released in 1983. This book was reedited with some significant changes and published as Worship the Only True God to be released at the 2002 district conventions. The current book on Christian conduct and principles regarding this is called "Keep Yourselves in God's Love", released in 2008.

Starting 1996-1997, some would start a Bible study using the What Does God Require of Us? brochure (this Require brochure was released in 1996) before heading to the first study aid. This role will be taken next year by the brochure released this year and titled Good News From God!

• Pterist
    Pterist

I was told by elder 1, that it was my personal decision between Jehovah and me NOT a church or organisation. (that was very encouraging)

Elder 2 stressed its not just knowing Gods personal name but what that name means....That's was very profound.

Elder1, led the protests from our Irish cong. outside the org. In brookyln in the aftermath of the disfellowshiping of Ray Franz.

Shalom.

• steve2
    steve2

I'd strongly recommend reading any book on hand before baptism - otherwise you risk them turning into watery pulp once you're bodily pushed under. Thank you.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

The one that should be read is "Captives of a Concept" by Don Cameron.

Yep, that'll do it.

NJY

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I was baptized in dec of '91, and I had to go through the Live Forever book and the United book---I didn't have to finish them before baptism, because I had not yet finished Live Forever, but I had to continue my study after my baptism until I finished both.

I remember after the book after Live Forever was introduced, they also required that the Require brochure be studied---either first as a preview----or after as a review. Frustrating since it is kindergarten---but I don't know if United was still required.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I think the book after Live Forever was the Maroon one named Knowledge that leads to ever lasting life.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

There was a little blue hardback book that was called, I think, THE TRUTH THAT LEADS TO ETERNAL LIFE. Don't know what years it was in print.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit