JW ORG duplicity? : Baptismal question.

by Splash 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It is a duplicitous argument because it drags a red herring across the original question, which was "Are J W's Christians". It can be said that they are, because they recognize him as their leader and future ruler and memorialize his death . However the questioner would really mean "Do you worship Jesus?" and the answer to that question is "no". When they say :

"Yes. We are Christians for the following reasons:

When people become Jehovah’s Witnesses, they are baptized in the name of Jesus.— Matthew 28:18, 19.

it gives the impression that they are baptized to follow Jesus as the churches do, which is untrue

There is another classic on this website :

"Q) Do You Feel That You Are The Only People To Be Saved?

A) No. Many millions who lived in centuries past and who weren’t Jehovah’s Witnesses will have an opportunity for salvation. The Bible explains that in God’s promised new world, “ there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous. ” ( Acts 24:15 ) Additionally, many now living may yet begin to serve God, and they too will gain salvation. In any case, it’s not our job to judge who will or won’t be saved. That assignment rests squarely in Jesus’ hand"

The clear answer was "no" but in fact the reasons given show that the answer talks about ultimate salvation at the end of 1000 years. The questioner would have intended his question to be about immediate salvation now, and of course all those mentioned would have to become "Jehovah's Witnesses". No other religion would bring salvation, but one needs to be a Witness to understand that .

Tricksy little devils, arn't they?

• Londo111
    Londo111

Pterist,

In my personal journey, I started touring mainline churches. The indoctrinations that had been built into me over decades melted away. All the dumb objections I had previously now seem silly. Rather than sitting home on Sunday mornings in isolation, I wanted to find a vehicle of fellowship with other Christians. I settled on the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) because they seem to allow maximum liberty of belief. Since Reformation Sunday was approaching, I wanted to do something significant.

Of course, what you choose is up to your conscience. There is more than one right answer.

• elderelite
    elderelite

wow londo thats huge!!!!!! good for you!

• JWB
    JWB

"'Jehovah's Witnesses' means that body of Christians who recognise the spiritual authority of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses situated at 25 Columbia Heights Brooklyn New York, United States" - From section 9 ("Interpretation") of the 2000 (Amended) Articles of Association of the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society of Britain.

If you got baptised at a WTS convention after the mid 1980s, you made a verbal commitment which was based on your understanding "that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization" You cannot legitimately be called a JW, according to the WTS, if you do not recognize the ecclesiastical power of the GB over your spiritual life.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I think you are mixing up the baptism and the response you give after the baptismal talk. When you are baptised shortly afterwards, immersed in water, it is in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit.

• Ding
    Ding

The "sheep's clothing" of the cults is their vocabulary.

They appear to be mainstream by using many of the same words and phrases as other groups ("saved," "judgment," "name of Jesus," "soul," "spirit," "born again," "anointed," etc.), but they mean something entirely different.

• Splash
    Splash

TheOldHippie -

I think you are mixing up the baptism and the response you give after the baptismal talk. When you are baptised shortly afterwards, immersed in water, it is in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit.

How do you mean? In what way is the immersion in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit?

Splash

• Pterist
    Pterist

@Londo111

Thanks so much for you reply. I have gravitated towards a Partial Preterism / anmillinisium as regards escathology. However as you said, this should not be how Christians are judged as been completely correct in anything else other than how Christ gives us new life now to overcome Satan, sin and death in the work of salvation in us, by means of our participation in his death and resurrection.

Shalom

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration
    When you are baptised shortly afterwards, immersed in water, it is in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit.

????????? The bible states that, but JWs in no way currently say this either in the vows, or in the baptism ceremony itself.

Of course when has the bible ever gotten in the way of what JWs do?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit