JW ORG duplicity? : Baptismal question.

by Splash 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Splash
    Splash

On JW.ORG there's a section which asks the rhetorical question "Are You Christians?".

( http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/are-jehovahs-witnesses-christians/ )

It has a number of points to explain why JW's are Christians, and the third point reads:

Yes. We are Christians for the following reasons:

· When people become Jehovah’s Witnesses, they are baptized in the name of Jesus.— Matthew 28:18, 19.

How does this compare to what ACTUALLY is said at the baptism?

See a recent WT for the answer:

*** w06 4/1 pp.22-23 ‘Go and Make Disciples, Baptizing Them’ ***

Repentance and Dedication

5 The first baptismal question asks the candidate if he has repented of his former life course and dedicated his life to Jehovah to do his will. This question emphasizes two vital steps that must be taken prior to baptism, namely repentance and dedication.

11 The second question asks the candidate, first of all, if he understands that his baptism serves to identify him as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

14 The second question also reminds the candidate of his responsibility to work with Jehovah’s spirit-directed organization.

I do not see anywhere in the baptism proceedings where someone is "baptized in the name of Jesus" as the website states.

Splash

• Sulla
    Sulla

Yeah that's part of the JWs-are-liars thing. They are, of course, but the interesting thing is the deeply-felt way in which they think they are not liars. JWs confronted with this observation of yours will respond with two arguments. 1) Of course JWs baptise in the name of Jesus, implicitly, through the fact that JWs are the church of Jesus and any baptism that they perform is necessarily in his name whether or not it is in his name. 2) It doesn't matter whether JWs baptise in the name of Jesus because there are no magic words and this focus on some sort of precise baptismal formula is pagan/Catholic. It is easy to find the same JW making both arguments, though they are clearly at odds the one with the other.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

I am sure there is a way to slick themselves out of this one.

Like "The baptism in Jesus is by extension, as Jesus is Jehovah's only begotten... (blah, blah, blah)..."

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

w85 6/1 p. 30

"The first question is:

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?"

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Duplicity on the part of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Never, you've got to be kidding!

• james_woods
    james_woods

And one more example of the strangely anti-Christian (or at best, non-Christian) terminology of JWs - they are far more interesting in spreading the name "Jehovah" than they are in spreading the name "Jesus" or "Jesus Christ"...as if "Jesus Christ" is meaningless without the constant fetish of "Jehovah".

An example too, of their equal obsession with their "organization".

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Christians are baptised in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Jehovah's Witnesses are simply baptised in to an organization.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Agreed.

That is why, yesterday, I was baptised in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit--along with my friend Tom who never felt worthy to be baptized when he was studying with the JWs.

• Pterist
    Pterist

If being baptized into Christ makes one a Christian on a very personal level, then being baptized into any organisation is NOT Chrsitian and totally opposed to the original teaching of the "Governing Body" under the apostle PAUL....Truth is eternal, never changes......1 Corinthians 1:12-13

12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”;another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas [a] ”; still another, “I follow Christ.”

13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so no one can say that you were baptized in my name.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Londo 111 *** That is why, yesterday, I was baptised in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit-*****

I am thinking about do this also. .....would you consider a swimming pool and a Christian friend as sufficient ? ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit