Jesus Christ Superstar

by FlyingHighNow 19 Replies latest social entertainment

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Appreciation for the original soundtrack for the rock opera theater cast and for the movie that soon followed. But any comments on any of the versions or stories you have, thoughts you have on this masterpiece by Andrew Lloyd Webber would be cool.

First question: Ian Gillan, the original Jesus, of Deep Purple fame on the soundtrack from 1970?

Or Ted Neely, a Texas rocker who did the role of Jesus in the movie?

I say both. I love them both.

When the movie came to Atlanta, we loved it so much we got a different mother to bring us to Lowes Tara in Atlanta to see it for most of the nights the first week it was there. I have to say that when I saw all those paintings of Christ, during the Garden of Gethemane scene in the movie, flash onto that huge screen I felt very moved. VERY. No matter what your feelings are about the Bible or Jesus, this is one hip, very 1970's rock opera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azawb907Bjg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3mFBh2z9sc&feature=related

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My favorite scene from the movie version and it's hard to choose a favorite, believe me. I love the dancing and the brass. We learned a lot of this dance and used to get together and play the music and try to duplicate this scene. We'd also do the dance to the LP Smokin' by Humble Pie.

Simon is amazing here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtpmZIdyRRM

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I met Ted Neeley two-three years ago. Apparently he lives in my town. I was shopping at Trader Joe's just before Thanksgiving and I noticed this (fairly short) guy with his long hair in a kind of ratty pony-tail. I don't know why - but I am a 'noticer' of people, always have been. Anyway, I was looking in the deli case, standing next to him and I said, "There's a familiar face." I still did not recall where I knew him from. And I wasn't totally sure that I knew him at all. So he says, "Oh, I've performed in a few things."

Well, we stood and chatted for about 15 minutes - he called his wife and daughter over and introduced us, and he invited me to come backstage if I were ever at one of his shows. We talked about Carl (Judas) who had performed at a church Mr Bee used to attend in Los Angeles.

Honestly, I could barely get away from him - and I think it might have been because he is not often recognized in real life and he seemed very pleased. A super friendly, and gracious man. However - not as hot in real life as when he is singing onstage.

It was a nice experience.

• finally awake
    finally awake

My mom used to play that record when I was a little kid!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Bizzy, he's not so young anymore. That is very cool that you got to meet him. He will say he's just a rocker from Texas.

Finally Awake and Bizzy, you should see the Ted Neeley version, if you haven't before. It's considered irreverent by many because it asks hard questions, even Jesus asks them. Judas asks, "Jesus Christ Superstar, do you think you're who they say you are?" But see it for the music, dancing and 70's cultural icon that it is.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I loved it, too. the movie and the soundtrack.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Mam, did you get to see it on the big screen?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I got to see it on the big screen. Ted Neely is the best Jesus, hands down! And, FHN, you're right about the art work. I'm no longer a believer, but the film is one of the best I've ever seen.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2012/sep/23/jesus-christ-superstar-review

Not a brillliant review but I love Tim Minchin so still want to go and see it.

I have the Ted Neely version, my parents had the original sound track on an LP and I also had the version with the black Jesus. All different but all fabulous.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Marked, to see if any men comment;)

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit