Thinking of changing my life/ long rant

by DATA-DOG 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

May I suggest any health education. Best investment I ever made. Of course, Armageddon would come long before I would graduate. So, I was very afraid and had to drink a lot of beers. Best part; Big A never came, I graduated and have been authorised and working for 4 years now. Even managed to replace all the beer with rooibos tea from south Africa. In your face WTS...:)

Love Healthworker

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey DATA-DOG!

Please vigorously avoid negative thinking, and take good care of your physical and mental health.

You'd be surprised at what a difference positive thinking and education can make, no matter your age or situation.

Exercise, a hobby, volunteering, hiking and so on can also help and who knows what doors may open and what opportunities can arise when you are meeting people.

A good Psychologist (that does not try to prescribe Psychiatric meds) can be worth far more than the cost.

Best wishes for you and yours on the journey.

• Etude
    Etude

DATA-DOG:

Yeah, I'm going to agree with everyone here about going back to school and how good that is. But also, let me add a few things.

1. Please realize the important distinction between being educated and having a degree. You can always be educated if you pursue and champion the things that you're really passionate about. Having a degree merely certifies that you have achieved and met requirements for certain level of training. But ultimately, the purpose of education is not to just to inform but to also teach you how to think. So, keep that close to your heart even after you register for college.

2. There are a lot of people with degrees that don't know their asses from their elbows. And yet, I have found that I've been passed over for many, many opportunities for being sheepskinless. If I were in your place, I would conclude that getting an education is very important for providing for my daughter. But, I don't know all your circumstances and can't really assess what kind of sacrifice that would be for you. Therefore, it's OK to do like OnTheWayOut said and concentrate your energies on seeing that you're daughter goes to college instead.

When I graduated from High School, I had the chance to go to a community college. I was also faced with the opportunity to "pioneer". Guess which stupid assed thing I chose? Not only that, after a year of it, I decided to go to Bethel (from the frying pan and into the fire). My dad, who was not a JW just let it happen; yes, let happen the conversion; yes, let happen the pioneering; yes, let happen the Bethel thing. If he had demanded that I go to college, I would have easily complied. Instead, he let it all happen.

Now, even after my 60th b'day, I'm still considering going back to school. To this day, I still don't know what I want to "do" and even though I went to college after I left Bethel (imagine that!), I have a hard time selecting a field of study. Maybe it's because I just like learning, period. But now, my interests have changed. It was because of college that I got into Mathematics and eventually in to I.T. and made a career. But now, I'm ambitious enough to think that I may study Law.

So lastly, I recommend that you find some financial help, or prove yourself to earn a scholarship, or join a college and seek financial help from the inside, even if you don't know what you want to do. There are a lot of pre-requisites that you will need to take no matter what your final field of study will be. Go. Do it now!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Yes! trying to be positive! I just joined the gym again!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit