Loosing Your Religion

by ballistic 13 Replies latest jw friends

• innerpeace
    innerpeace

If it wasn't for googling the witnesses last summer after dropping my dad off at the district convention, I would still be in my guilt and fear mode for not going anymore.

After countless hours reading, I have completely changed my outlook on the JW's and also religion in general. I no longer worry about me and my kids dying in

armageddon. Its been a huge eye opener for me since this is what I was taught my whole life. Im still in the learning and reading phase, I would like to think that

there's someone more powerful than us that cares but I'm not so sure. (Sorry for the double spaces, Im trying to figure this place out)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Changing a bad religion is much like going to the dentist to get a bad tooth pulled. It hurts for a while, but once the tooth is out, it stops hurting after it heals. Pulling a bad religion is the same thing--it can hurt until it heals, but you are better off without it.

Once the bad religion is out, you can start doing other things. Do you like the Christmas decorations? Go ahead and buy them with the money you had been wasting on Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund donations, suit dry cleanings, field circus supplies, and gas to and from field circus and boasting sessions. One suit dry cleaning will buy you one strand of quality LED Christmas lights. You might budget what you were going to waste at the Grand Boasting Session for your Christmas tree--an artificial tree will last a good many years. Instead of wasting gas to do field circus, put the gas money into ornaments and/or presents. What were you going to donate to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund or to your Kingdumb Hell? Putting this money instead into presents, cards, and/or ornaments is better.

Now is also the time to research your other options for religions. I recommend staying unaffiliated while you do this, because you need to make sure your new religion is going to address your issues. Doing research on them is not the same as sympathizing or joining--you can and should research as many of them as possible before deciding on any of them. Research other Christian denominations, even the advanced stages. Research the Jewish and Muslim religions in depth, as well as the pagan and Eastern religions and Satanism. Once you get a feel for what's out there, you and you alone can decide whether you wish to commit to any of them, and when. Or, you can choose to remain unaffiliated forever. Without the bias from an organization dictating what is the truth.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Sorry, I lost this post and didn't come back on it. It's interesting to hear everyones thoughts as well as *how it was for them*.

I think though I would like to examine further, how your religion is wired into your brain. How your other thought processes rely

on this set of rules. How your concience is pricked by your religion, how your values develop. How you see the world entirely.

And yet, in whatever way you loose the religion, these years of wiring of your brain is all based on something you no longer believe.

How does one function? What goes on inside a brain wired in such a way? Deep withinin the brain, have all us ex-witnesses re-wired our brains (and if so how long did it take) OR is all that stuff still there, under the surface?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My experience was that the longer I was out the less hold that the JW mindset had over me. When you first leave, you may have already decided this isn't the truth. But you thinking has been changed and molded by the mind control of the JWs in many ways. When I left I still didn't believe in evolution. After a number of years, my thinking had changed and logic (not mind Control) took over. I think the younger your are, the faster the change, but that is just a guess on my part.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit