Loosing Your Religion

by ballistic 13 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Changing your religion for another or completely loosing your religion and or your belief in god, or turning to an agnostic point of view is really quite a big change. For not wanting to state the obvious, when you change your religion, it changes not just the concept of religion in your mind, but your entire world view, or the way you perceive things work in the universe. How does such an enormous change happen?

I think the stories on this web site would indicate it happenes in many different ways for different people. For me, it was the deeply held belief that I am a good person, or trying my hardest against all odds to be a good person, and that what was happening to me through dissfellowshipping simply was not kind, fair, didn't show love, and not something I would associate with a loving god. Being thrown aside by the religion in this way is what left me open to other ideas. Then only slowly did I start to look around, and it probably took 2 years or so before I was looking at science for answers. In my case, it was a gradual change as opposed to a Eureka moment.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Mine was gradual as to settling on what my world view is, and took me about 4 years to get to where I am now, my exit from the WT was sudden though, I simply could not associate any longer with a religion that worshipped men, the Governing Body.

Of course, since I have left, and particularly with the Noo Lite, that worship has got much more overt.

I realised as soon as I left that being a born in I was abysmally ignorant and needed to educate myself and read read read !

I now have a grasp on many subjects, and most importantly have learned the art of Critical Thinking, it enables me to smell Bull S**t a whole Light Year away !

I cherish the freedom I now have to seek answers, and to ask any questions I like, and to analyse thoroughly the answers I am given.

It's GREAT !

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

^^^ What he said..^^^

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Me personally, I became agnostic before I left the JWs. It was my questioning of the bible, and god in general, that made it easy for me to think critically about everything else about the religion. I haven't had any desire to study any other religion, because I realized, while not all were as extreme as the JWs, they were all built upon the same lie. It was a pretty smooth transition to atheism for me.

• happy@last
    happy@last

Nagging doubts over many years finally lead to me walking out of an assembly. I heard the words, "comfort for the depressed", and "finding safety and peace in the organisation" and it made my blood boil. Having not experienced or seen this in action, listening to it was like listening a pack of lies and I realised thats what it was. It took a short while to effect my fade away, but my complete change has brought complete relief

• Jaime l de Aragon
  • Fernando
    Fernando

It was a process, but there was a moment of sudden clarity when I saw the Watchtower Pharisees' contempt, hatred and fear of the unabridged "good news"...

No wonder God hates religion...

• Pterist
    Pterist

Jaime I de aragon....thanks for the great link!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Ballistic,

Great opening post. Yes our beleif system has grave power over our view of the world inside and out.

My loosing of religion left me adrift as the motivating force it had in my life came to a stand still and slowly got replace with another.

My mind is much broader now, I have become more introspective, I have become my own inward observer to a much greater extent, and I have a thirst for understanding much greater than before.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

It took me awhile to debunk the cult teachings in my own mind. Since then, I am so done with religion, but I'm not an agnostic or atheist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit