Nebuchadnezzar's accession year in 625 B.C.E

by biometrics 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• biometrics
    biometrics

Does anyone have info on why the Watchtower's view that Nebuchadnezzar's accession year was in 625 B.C.E is incorrect.

From the CD ROM:

Jerusalem came under final siege in Zedekiah’s 9th year (609 B.C.E.), and the city fell in his 11th year (607 B.C.E.), corresponding to Nebuchadnezzar’s 19th year of actual rule (counting from his accession year in 625 B.C.E

Have an elder coming over to discuss this

I'm showing the elder the table on: http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/607-587.php

But his response was Nebuchadnezzar's accession year was in 625 B.C.E.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Get him to tell you the length of the reigns of the kings back from cyrus overthrowing babylon in 539bce (the agreed date between JWs and secular history)

They have it scattered about in their literature and on the CD rom so he can find it if he searches... add them up and you will find the 18/19th year of Neb (destruction of Jerusalem) = 586/7 just like secular history has it.

I aint doing that for you here as there plenty of threads on it so use the search function. You NEED to understand it yourself if you are going to be discussing this, so it is better if you find this information yourself and absorb it tbh.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The Battle of Carchemish between the babylonians and Egyptians is well attested as occurring circa 605BCE, we are only talking of slight doubt as to the exact year so I have written "circa", but Nabopollasser , Prince Nebuchadnezzar's father, died in the August of that year, that was when Nebbie became King, not almost 20 years earlier.

The WT insists on 1914 as being important, they work everything back from that, so 2520 gives you 607, 19 years before that gives you around 625, but I do not believe the WT can produce a non WT scholar to back their 625 accession, anymore than they can produce one for 607.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Without getting into the technicalities of how Babylonian astronomical texts dated to Nebuchadnezzar's reign fix his years, do it Witness My Fury's way. And get the elder to do the work! Here's a quick refresher on how the method works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrCleOXkYu0

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Don't do it for him.

Just say you are having problems making it add up, then force him to do what it takes to make it add up ..... or not.

Don't let any excuses let him weasel his way out of providing HONEST answers.

Remember ..... You are the learner ... he is the teacher ..... your job is to ask the questions ... his job is to answer the questions ... don't let him reverse the roles.

Control

Control

Control

Control

Control

• biometrics
    biometrics

So the elder came and went. He couldn't answer any of the quesions about the kings lineage. He took my printout and said he would find an answer for me.

He gave a speech about how my eternal salvation depends on my attitude toward the governing body.

Then he talked about the 'slave class' giving food at the propper time. I asked him about the logistics of the global anointed 144,000 still on earth providing that food. He agreed that only the GB provide that food, and even then they don't actually write the articles, they just give orders, and approve articles.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

So the elder came and went. He couldn't answer any of the quesions about the kings lineage. He took my printout and said he would find an answer for me.

Keep him to that promise. Take a leaf out of BS's book and discuss no other topic until the kings' lineage problem has been resolved to your satisfaction.

Edit: As for the rest, I thought the Bible clearly stated that salvation depends on our attitude toward Jesus - not the GB? The GB cannot save us. Besides, it hasn't been determined yet whether the master's house servant has performed his duties faithfully and discreetly, according to the new understanding. If the 'spiritual food' has been corrupted, why be made to swallow it?

• undercover
    undercover

He gave a speech about how my eternal salvation depends on my attitude toward the governing body.

I thought 'salvation', or in JWspeak, everlasting life, depended on faith/dedication/service to Jehovah with Jesus ruling as king. The F&DS (aka the GB) takes the lead in dispensing 'truth', but are not in a chain of command to be worshipped or revered.

• Londo111
    Londo111

No...the Watchtower religion isn't a cult! I'll prove it: They don't devote themselves to human leaders! Heil Governing Body!

<in case nobody noticed, that was sarcasm...>

• biometrics
    biometrics

I thought 'salvation', or in JWspeak, everlasting life, depended on faith/dedication/service to Jehovah with Jesus ruling as king. The F&DS (aka the GB) takes the lead in dispensing 'truth', but are not in a chain of command to be worshipped or revered.

Good point. I'll bring that up with him next time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit