Would doubting Thomas be an atheist today?

by yadda yadda 2 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

How could it be reasonable for Jesus to condemn skeptics today when one of his own apostles, who had witnessed Jesus pre-death miracles, refused to believe in the resurrection until he had physical proof?

Doesn't the fact that Jesus willingly gave Thomas the requested proof set a precedent for all other skeptics down through time? Isn't the burden of proof on Jesus to provide indisputable evidence that he is now alive given that so much time has passed since his claimed resurrection, and until he does that, it would be immoral for Jesus to judge anyone?

Isn't that especially also the case since God took no action to prevent numerous religious "artfully contrived stories" and other claimed holy scriptures to be invented with their millions of adherents?

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

LOVE IT !!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

bttt. No more interest in this?

I've never seen an skeptics or agnostics/atheists use this line of reasoning. I find the Thomas example to be quite compelling for saying to Christians "If the apostle Thomas refused to believe in Christ's resurrection unless he had hard, physical evidence, (which Jesus willingly provided), then why shouldn't I demand the same before I believe, and even more so now that we are 2,000 years removed from the event?" How could a Christian possibly argue against that?

• cofty
    cofty

Good point

marking.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

btt. very interesting question. anyone want to take a crack at it?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Believers will claim that faith is more important than proof now. Good point though.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

No, believers will say you have all the proof you need but refuse to see/hear it. The burden has shifted.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

the silence on this thread is interesting considering how much religious debate has gone on since it was made

• tec
    tec

Thomas had already proven himself loyal to Christ. He had followed Him through His trials, put His faith in Him, listened and obeyed his teachings, nevermind the danger or trials that would come to him as a result... and all before the death and resurrection of Christ.

When Christ called Thomas, right from the start, Thomas answered.

Peace,

tammy

• mP
    mP

Given Thomas means twin, why doesnt his twin believe ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit