Matthew 27:52-53 WTF!?!?!?!

by Cagefighter 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• John Kesler
    John Kesler

Here is something I wrote on another list when the resurrected-saints percope was discussed in 2007:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorkosigan In addition to what Don asks, I'd love to know if (1) there are any texts of Matt that don't have it...

I don't know of any manuscripts missing the entire resurrected-saints pericope, but there is is some evidence that the phrase "after his resurrection" was added later. This point was discussed by Jason Filley on the Errancy list:

Quote:

William L. Petersen, in Helmut Koester's "Ancient Christian Gospels: Their History and Development (or via: amazon.co.uk)." Trinity Press International, London: 1990, pp425,426. Chapter on Tatian's 'Diatessaron.' "Supporting this conclusion [that the Diatessaron preserved an earlier reading than Matthew's gospel -JF] is another apparent Diatessaronic reading in the same passage. It is an omission, and therefore one must be careful in arguing from it, for the argument is e silentio. But in this case, the omission is an active omission, that is, it changes the meaning of the text. Therefore, it elicits greater credence than a passive omission, that is, one which does not alter the meaning of the text. In numerous Diatessaronic witnesses, both East (Ephrem, twice in his Commentary, and in three of his hymns; twice in the Commentary of Ishocdad; and twice in the hymns of Romanos) and West (twice in the Pepysian Harmony; The Heliand), the resurrection and appearance of the risen "dead" occur simultaneously with Jesus' death on the cross. In other words, the Diatessaron omitted the canonical "after his resurrection," which--most bizarrely--delays the appearance of those resurrected for three days! Rather, according to the Diatessaron, the "dead" were raised and revealed there and then as one more sign of the gravity of Jesus' death. The reading of the Pepysian Harmony gives some idea of the scene, according to Tatian:

"And with that, the veil that hung in the temple before the high altar burst in two pieces, the earth quaked, and the stones burst, and the dead men arose out of their graves. And so said the centurion..."
    In the canonical account, the delay of the appearance of those resurrected for three days defeats the whole purpose of having them raised when Jesus dies on the cross; but the delay does bring the canonical account into line with Pauline theology, which proclaims Jesus the 'first fruits' of the resurrection (I Cor. 15:20). According to Pauline theology, one cannot have the 'saints' arising before Jesus himself has risen. It would appear the the Diatessaron preserves a more primitive version of the text at this point than does the canonical text, which has been revised to bring it into conformity with Pauline theology."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorkosigan ...and (2) what the midrashic source for it is. It stinks of interpolation.

Matthew's source may be Daniel 12:1-2. Both speak of a resurrection of the "many."

Quote:

Daniel:
    "At that time Michael, the great prince, the protector of your people, shall arise. There shall be a time of anguish, such as has never occurred since nations first came into existence. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone who is found written in the book. 2 Many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Matthew:
    51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. The earth shook, and the rocks were split. 52 The tombs also were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised.
  • glenster
    glenster

PS: the theory I suggested would have the centurian speak on Friday. This
    could include seeing the two earthquakes of Matthew as figuratively (both?)
    indicating the importance of Jesus crucifed and rising as world shaking events
    similar to the two earthquakes that happen with the establishment of the new
    covenant on Mt. Golgotha and the Law on Mt.Sinai.

There's understandable caution about how to take the passage. The kind I
    suggested has created a flap with supporters of a conservative version, such as
    that the recently departed (so recognized by some in town) literally rose then
    died later like Lazarus. They contest the suggestion by an author, Licona, to
    possibly use a figurative interpretation of the passage and criticize that it's
    based on extra-Biblical texts. One of the web pages:
    http://blog.godreports.com/2011/11/book-about-resurrection-sparks-inerrancy-debate/

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

kai

κα?

and

Conj

3588 [e]

ta

τ?

the

Art-NNP

3419 [e]

mnemeia

μνημε?α

tombs

N-NNP

455 [e]

aneochthesan

?νε?χθησαν

were opened,

V-AIP-3P

2532 [e]

kai

κα?

and

Conj

4183 [e]

polla

πολλ?

many

Adj-NNP

4983 [e]

somata

σ?ματα

bodies

N-NNP

3588 [e]

ton

τ?ν

of the

Art-GMP

2837 [e]

kekoimemenon

κεκοιμημ?νων

fallen asleep

V-RPM/P-GMP

40 [e]

hagion

?γ?ων

saints

Adj-GMP

1453 [e]

egerthesan

?γ?ρθησαν

arose,

κα?

and

Conj

1831 [e]

exelthontes

?ξελθ?ντες

having gone forth

V-APA-NMP

1537 [e]

ek

out of

Prep

3588 [e]

ton

τ?ν

the

Art-GNP

3419 [e]

mnemeion

μνημε?ων

tombs

N-GNP

3326 [e]

meta

μετ?

after

Prep

3588 [e]

ten

τ?ν

the

Art-AFS

1454 [e]

egersin

?γερσιν

resurrection

N-AFS

846 [e]

autou

α?το?

of him,

PPro-GM3S

1525 [e]

eiselthon

ε?σ?λθον

they entered

V-AIA-3P

1519 [e]

eis

ε?ς

into

Prep

3588 [e]

ten

τ?ν

the

Art-AFS

40 [e]

hagian

?γ?αν

holy

Adj-AFS

4172 [e]

polin

π?λιν

city

N-AFS

2532 [e]

kai

κα?

and

Conj

1718 [e]

enephanisthesan

?νεφαν?σθησαν

appeared

V-AIP-3P

4183 [e]

pollois

πολλο?ς

to many.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

Epiphanius and other early Church Fathers taught that the holy ones literally came to life and went with the resurrected Jesus to heaven. Augustine, Theophylactus, and Zigabenus believed that these dead ones received a temporary resurrection but later returned to their tombs.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

Another explanation is this one :

Around Jerusalem at the time, the method of burial was in the side of a hill or mountain. They usually did not bury the dead 6 foot under the dirt. These would be either naturally occurring caves or dug out especially for burials.

When the earthquake(s) happened--the main one with aftershocks, normally---this dislodged (literally) the sealed stones at the openings and the bodies inside. Gravity takes over and these bodies roll down the hill, into the streets of Jerusalem.

For those residents or anybody really, this caused the citizens to be very upset. But those bodies then did not get up and walk away. They remained dead.

Someone asked why you asked this of Jehovah's Witnesses? The answer is obvious. You wanted a correct answer based on research and knowledge. It is how we do things. Not by repeating what some clergyman has you recite.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Well that sucks, I just wrote a long very detailed response to some of the more recent posts and I just lost it thanks to clicking on a link. And I don't really feel like rewriting it again. Sigh.

• Listener
    Listener

Drats Leolia.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I've been there, and the graves are on the edge of the city, almost like the edge of the mountain, so an earthquake breaking things up could expose many.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

here is an example.....

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I'll just quickly summarize without citing all the sources and evidence I originally had in my lost post.

John Kesler.....Thank you for giving that piece of information, which is corroborating evidence that the clause in question is a gloss. As far as intertexts are concerned, I would definitely include Ezekiel 37:7-13 and Isaiah 26:19 alongside Daniel 12:2. belbab.....Thanks too for that idea about Psalm 68:6. My lost post gave a really detailed discussion of that passage, showing that it has little relevance with the Pericope Zombieum compared to the other intertexts I've mentioned, and the LXX clearly does not give the original reading. The originality of the MT is supported by the conceptual background of the passage (Israel's journey through the wilderness after the exodus), poetic parallelism with the next verse (v. 7), and it is supported by the other Greek versions of Aquila and Symmachus. The LXX reading of "in tombs" is due to a misreading of the Hebrew ts e chîchah as ts e rîach "inner chamber". The other part of my post discussed the connection you noted with Matthew 8:28, which is a quite interesting parallel as it concerns persons exiting tombs. But it is not so relevant that it really means that the persons exiting the tombs near Jerusalem during the Crucifixion were demon-possessed persons. I pointed out that the former passage concerned homeless people who lived in rock-cut tombs on hills that offered shelter, and the idea was that tombs are places where unclean spirits frequent, and so the persons exorcized by Jesus had become contaminated with demons by dwelling there. This supports the normal understanding of Matthew 27:53 as concerning persons who are exiting tombs (as identical language is used), for the persons healed by Jesus became demon-possessed by residing inside the tombs. It isn't a matter of walking between or among tombs outside, as the NWT would have it. Nor does the reference to persons exiting tombs in Matthew 27:53 mean that reference there is being made to "spiritually dead" demon-possessed persons. First of all, these are not unsealed tombs that are used as dwelling places by homeless persons; these are clearly sealed tombs that are opened by the earthquake. Those that are described as in the tombs are "bodies" (sòma), clearly dead bodies, of those who are "sleeping" (kekoimèmenòn), which is a common euphemism for death in the NT, used to describe those who are resting in tombs. When egeirein is used with this word, it connotes a "waking up" or "rising up" from this state of death in the resurrection (cf. 1 Corinthians 15:20 where both words are used). And these persons are not miserable demon-possessed wretches but "holy ones", i.e. the prophets and righteous of old. The tombs in question are likely those from Silwan and the Mount of Olives, where many of the old prophets were buried. The pericope may be allusive of the prophecy in Zechariah 14:4-5 which envisions the Mount of Olives split in half by an earthquake followed by the Lord coming with the "holy ones" with him. raymond frantz....What I basically said is that the language of the passage does not really support that reading, nor the geography if the Mount of Olives is in view. Egeirein, a word referring to a rising up from a reclined position, does not suggest a throwing down from a height. It also distinctly suggests the opposite of "remaining dead" when it applies to those who are in "tombs" (as in Isaiah 26:19 LXX, Matthew 27:63, Acts 13:29-30), when it applies to those who are metaphorically "sleeping" (as in Daniel 12:2 Theod., 1 Corinthians 15:20), when it applies to those "sleeping" who "come out from their tombs" (as in John 12:17), and when it applies to those who are "raised" who then "appear" to others (as in Mark 16:14, Luke 24:34, John 21:14, 1 Corinthians 15:4-8); in all of these cases it implies a resurrection to life. One should also note that egeirein is in the passive voice (to be awakened, to be raised up, NOT rise up). We are also dealing with animate agents who "get into" (eiserkhomai) into the holy city after "getting out of" (exerkhomai) the tombs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit