Matthew 27:52-53 WTF!?!?!?!

by Cagefighter 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Dead people raided Jerusalem during the cruxifiction? How have I never heard this before? Why do I suspect the NWT completely leaves this event out?

I remember reading verse 51 every memorial season, but I would have remembered the zombie raid that followed. Below is the NIV translation. Someone please reply with the NWT version so I can figure out how I missed this.

51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split 52 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and [e] went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    50 "And Jesus cried again with a loud voice, and yielded up his spirit.
    51 And behold, the veil of the temple was rent in two from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake; and the rocks were rent;
    52 and the tombs were opened; and many bodies of the saints that had fallen asleep were raised;
    53 and coming forth out of the tombs after his resurrection they entered into the holy city and appeared unto many.
    54 Now the centurion, and they that were with him watching Jesus, when they saw the earthquake, and the things that were done, feared exceedingly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.
    55 And many women were there beholding from afar, who had followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him:
    56 among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joses, and the mother of the sons of Zebedee.
    57 And when even was come, there came a rich man from Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple:
    58 this man went to Pilate, and asked for the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded it to be given up. ..."

Now, that's the sort of scripture that convinced me [well, further convinced me....] that the bible is basically nothing more than recently-generated mythology...

• ziddina
    ziddina

See what happens when you start reading the bible without the Watchtower filter in place - or any other sort of organized Christian religion serving as "filter"...?

I wonder how many atheists got started, that way....

• Black Sheep
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is the NWT:

"And the memorial tombs were opened and many bodies of the holy ones that had fallen asleep were raised up, (and persons, coming out from among the memorial tombs after his being raised up, entered into the holy city,) and they became visible to many people".

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } A:link { so-language: zxx } -->

New Simplified Bible:

“ 52 The tombs were split open and many [dead] bodies were tossed upright [on the ground]. 53 [They came out of the tombs after his resurrection.] (Manuscript text unclear.) Many people saw them. 54 The centurion and those who were with him watching Jesus saw the earthquake. Filled with much fear of the things that were done, they proclaimed: »Truly, this was the Son of God!” (James R. Madsen, Brackets his.)

21st Century New Testament (right margin) :

“ 51 But just look what happened next! The heavy curtain dividing the Holy from the Most Holy of the temple ripped right down the middle from top to bottom! A violent earthquake split great rocks apart 52 and threw the bodies of the dead out of their tombs. Travelers passing the tombs after his resurrection, told many what they had seen when they went into the city. 54 When the centurion and his men who had been watching Jesus saw all this happening they were terrified: ‘Truly, this was the Son of God:’ they exclaimed.”

Quite a bit of interpretation is necessary to render these accounts as these two versions and the NWT have done.

(Underlining mine)

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    told many what they had seen when they went into the city

...and it was so exciting that none of them wrote anything that anyone could be bothered to preserve, in spite of the influence of the ever present, ever powerful, god of the goat herders that I am in no way descended from, or related to.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The NWT is reminiscent of Johannes Greber's dubious translation: "The earth quaked, and the rocks were shattered. Tombs were laid open, and many bodies of those buried there were tossed upright. In this posture they projected from the graves and were seen by many who passed by the place on their way back to the city" (The New Testament -- A New Translation, 1937). The NWT follows Greber's lead and also imposes parantheses to artificially mark part of the text as a digression:

"The earth quaked, and the rock-masses were split. And the memorial tombs were opened and many bodies of the holy ones that had fallen asleep were raised up, (and persons, coming out from among the memorial tombs after his being raised up, entered into the holy city,) and they became visible to many people."

In both readings the bodies in the graves are not resurrected but merely "raised up" or "tossed upright" and remained in their tombs, while other persons walking among the tombs went into the city (not those tossed upright in the tombs). This is a very contrived interpretation that can be criticized on a number of grounds.

First we read that "tombs were opened" (mnèmeia aneòkhthèsan), and this is an allusion to the Vision of Dry Bones (a primary OT source on the resurrection belief) where God says " I will open your tombs (anoig ò hum ò n ta mn è mata) and cause you to come up (anax ò ) out of your tombs (ek t ò n mn è mat ò n), my people; and I will bring you into (eisax ò hu mas) the land of Israel" (Ezekiel 37:12 LXX); both anoig ò and aneòkhthèsan are forms of the verb anoigein "to open up" (first person singular active present and third person plural passive aorist, respectively). The two words occur elsewhere in descriptions of the resurrection: "And after these things a trumpet blast, and the tombs will be opened (mnèmeia anoikhthesontai) and the dead will rise up uncorrupted" (Greek Apocalypse of Ezra 4:36).

Second, the Greber translation and the NWT refer only the bodies being "raised up" or "tossed upright", and Greber further adds a reference to "this posture". But this ignores what is stated in text itself. The verb egerein is here used in reference to bodies of those who said to be kekoimèmenòn "sleeping". This refers to the state of death from which the dead are awakened and raised up. One may compare the story of Lazarus; Jesus says that he was going to wake up (exunipzein) Lazarus who "has fallen asleep" (kekoimètai), such that he "will rise again (anastèsetai)" (John 11:11-12, 23), or Paul stating that Jesus "has been raised" (egègertai) from the dead as the firstfruits of "those of have fallen asleep (kekoimèmenòn)" (1 Corinthians 15:20). Also a nominal form (egersin) of the same word (egerein "to rise up") is used in the next verse (v. 53) to refer to Jesus' resurrection (although it seems that this reference is an interpolated gloss, see below). It thus should be understood as resurrection in the preceding verse.

Third, v. 53 attributes to following actions to the holy ones: they "came out" (exelthontes, masculine plural in agreement with "holy ones" in v. 52) of the tombs, they "came into" (eisèlthon) the city, and then they "appeared" (enephainisthèsan) to many. These actions presume an agency not attributable to inanimate bodies, not even by assuming that others picked them up and carried them into the city. This motivates the NWT's parenthetical insertion of "persons" into the text to make the reference to the first two actions attributable to conscious agents, even tho there is no basis for "persons" in the text.

Another contrivance is the statement that these persons were "coming out from among the memorial tombs" in the NWT, which implies they were on the surface walking between the tombs, whereas they clearly are exiting the tombs themselves (exelthontes ex tòn mnèmeiòn "came out from the tombs"). And this language is clearly borrowed from Ezekiel 37:12 LXX: After opening the tombs, Yahweh would " cause you to come up (anax ò ) out of your tombs (ek t ò n mn è mat ò n)" , and then he would "bring you into" (eisaxò) the land of Israel. This is parallel to the opening of the tombs being followed by the dead "coming out" (exerkhomai) "out of the tombs" (ex tòn mnèmeiòn) and then "coming into" (eiserkhomai) the holy city. So the passage in its construction is clearly a resurrection narrative, and the Greber and NWT renderings attempt to mitigate this.

Finally, the words meta tèn egersin autou "after his resurrection" in v. 53 has the appearance of an awkward gloss. It introduces a contrivance: the dead are raised at the moment the temple veil is torn but they inexplicably wait in their graves until Easter Sunday, and the Matthean account has the centurion exclaim "This was the son of God" in amazement in the very next verse. The centurion is not only commenting on the earthquake, but "the earthquake and the things that happened". The spectacle of the dead rising from the graves and walking into Jerusalem was certainly "the things that happened" following the quake. The gloss interferes with this reading. It has a clear theological motivation; Paul wrote: "But Christ has in fact been raised from the dead, the first-fruits of all who have fallen asleep...All men will be brought to life in Christ but all of them in their proper order: Christ as the first-fruits and then after the coming of Christ, those who belong to him" (1 Corinthians 15:20-23). This would explain why the text was glossed: Christ must first rise and leave his tomb prior to the saints, who only do so "after his resurrection". The gloss however is only partly successful in harmonizing the Matthean story with Paul since the account would still have the resurrection of the dead occur prior to that of Jesus.

One might also wonder if the tradition underlying the passage is relevant to the claim by Hymenaeus and Philetus that "the resurrection has already taken place" (2 Timothy 2:16-17), a claim that the Paulinist author of the Pastorals rejected.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thanks, Wonderment, for posting those. Clearly, many readers are sensitive to the problems of the passage and are similarly motivated to massage what is stated.

New Simplified Bible: “ 52The tombs were split open and many [dead] bodies were tossed upright [on the ground]. 53 [They came out of the tombs after his resurrection.] (Manuscript text unclear.) Many people saw them. 54 The centurion and those who were with him watching Jesus saw the earthquake. Filled with much fear of the things that were done, they proclaimed: »Truly, this was the Son of God!” (James R. Madsen, Brackets his.)

This version elects not to even translate most of v. 53, claiming that the manuscript text is unclear. But the only potential problem in the syntax is that the masculine participle exelthontes in v. 53 has neuter "bodies" in v. 52 as its antecedent. But this is not unusual; in Mark 15:45-46, the masculine pronoun "him" has the neuter "body" as its antecedent (disagreement between the neuter and masculine in reference to persons is actually pretty common in the NT, cf. Matthew 25:32 where masculine "them" has neuter ethnè "nations" as its antecedent). In the Pericope Zombiae, "bodies" are raised but they are resurrected persons when they leave the tombs. It is interesting that Madsen does not translate most of v. 53 at all; it seems like he just doesn't like what the text says.

21st Century New Testament (right margin): “ 51 But just look what happened next! The heavy curtain dividing the Holy from the Most Holy of the temple ripped right down the middle from top to bottom! A violent earthquake split great rocks apart 52 and threw the bodies of the dead out of their tombs. Travelers passing the tombs after his resurrection, told many what they had seen when they went into the city. 54 When the centurion and his men who had been watching Jesus saw all this happening they were terrified: ‘Truly, this was the Son of God:’ they exclaimed.”

This version thoroughly revises what is in the text. Rather than saying the dead (nothing here about "holy ones" or "saints") were raised, the translation uses the active voice to make the earthquake throw them "out of their tombs". This takes the phrase "out of the tombs" from v. 53 and puts it with the earlier sentence in v. 52. Then in v. 53, we have the invented reference to "travelers passing the tombs" which is without any textual basis, and which resembles what the NWT has ("persons coming out from among the memorial tombs"). This non-existent referrent is then the subject for the "they went into the city" clause, even though in the original text it is the resurrected dead who enter into the city. And again these invented "travellers" are said to tell many what they had seen, and this again is without any textual basis.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Yup, this is one of the accounts that convinced me it was all bollocks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit