Capital punishment, are you in favour of it ?

by smiddy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

The more civilized a society becomes they move away from 'Eye for an eye'. It is time we move away from and continually question the morality of the Late Bronze Age and all that it manifests in our culture.

• dmouse
    dmouse

No. 1. The Justice system is too imperfect, many innocents WOULD be put to death (and have been in the past). 2. Two wrongs don't make a right. If it is wrong to kill, then it is wrong to kill. Society/civilisation should be better than that. Of course, anyone found guilty of a heinous murder should spend the rest of their lives in prison, both as punishment and to protect the public.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

You give your government the right to kill it's own citizens and pretty soon you'll end up with a draconian penal system that only favours the rich.

Capital punishment has no place in a modern society. Captal punishment demeans everyone and panders to those who would seek revenge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_capital_punishment_by_country

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

No, I'm not in favour of it.

1. However overwhelming the evidence may seem, there is. Always the chance of a miscarriage of justice.

2. However bad the crime, execution allows no opportunity for eventual repentance. No- one knows what lies ahead, nor what good may yet be done by someone who eventually repents and wants and tries to make amends.

However, again, I absolutely recognise that some crimes are so horrific that it seems to challenge true justice in some cases, and I know that, rightly, victims and their families may feel that justice has not been done. I do think that life imprisonment should mean Life.

Crimes against children are the ones that arouse the greatest indignation and I understand and share that indignation too. I don't have an outright answer. But instinctively, and rationally, I'm against apical punishment.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

If there is no doubt, and a fair trial was given, YES!

If murder, rape, any physical or sexual abuse to a child, elderly, and everything in between, or willful negligence caused the death of others, lethal injection won't cut it.

Lock them in a room cutting off a limb or appendage a week. Drag it out. And feed them scarcely so they survive, but that's all. They should be done within a few month, if that.

Am I sick? No, but the person will truly suffer and understand what they did was wrong. Insanity or not.

• designs
    designs

Yes starving and dismemberment are sick punishments. What do you think this is Henry VIII times.

• just Ron
    just Ron

I don't think capital punishment is the right answer. For any case where there is the possibility the wrong person was convicted, there is no remedy if the person has been executed. For cases where there is no chance the wrong person was convicted, and the crime was something that the death penalty is warranted, I'd rather see the person rot in solitary confinement. No outside contact of any kind at all - just food through a slot.

• infpalex
    infpalex

NO, but I think the current jail system isn't good either. All people who are sentenced to life in prison should have to become an assest to society, train them in something and make them do it forever as part of their sentence. (They should still be locked up away from the general population)

If we could find a way to make all the people who commit terrible crimes have to give back for the rest of their lives... (I'm sure you all have some amazing ideas about this could happen) ... then it would be more beneficial for society and the person.

You wouldn't be taking a life, because two wrongs don't make a right, but that person also wouldn't be a drain on society.

Just my 2 cents

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

For reasons I'm unprepare to talk about publicly, yes.

Marvin Shilmer

• designs
    designs

More and more Societies of Anesthesiologists are opposing envolvement in lethal injections. There seems to be no shortage of gun advocates who would draw straws to shoot a convicted killer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit