Isn't it hypocritical for the Governing Body to feature a biochemist in Awake! magazine but at the same time condemn higher education?

by matt2414 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

It is hypocritical. They've done it for years. They love it when an educated person joins them, but condemn the rest of us for going to university. There may be some congregations that tolerate it. Most of them don't because those are the instructions they receive from the GB.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

You guys are rilly behine the times. Don't tell no one, but I have it on EXELINT uhthority that Armagedon is so close at hand that wastin' your monee on hi-er education is jest a waste of time. Ah'm sooooo excitted thet I quit mah job, ca$hed in my reetiremant and am spending my live's savings! Shucks, why knot? It don't hardly make no cense keepin' everthin in banks and paper thet's only going to be dee-stroyed when Armagedon comes! I ain't no fool, y'all. You guys who are going to loose everthin in Armagedon's dee-struction are gonna feel awful foolissh if you dont spend it now! In fact, I here tell if Bethel is wrong about this that they'll re-fund any money you may loose; ain't that right?

Whoo needs hi-er educatsion when it's all so close? Uoo wont find me makin' thet misstake, no, sir!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Armageddon okie. How's the judge doing? Got some moonshine to share? http://www.armageddonokies.com/

S

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Let's try and clear up the position on having degrees and having privilages.

There is no restriction on having a degree and serving as a pioneer, MS or elder. Many are serving in these capacities with degrees in many congregations around the world. I know several. What you will find however is that they almost 100% would have got their degrees before having privilages.

It is not unknown for someone attending university to be appointed as a pioneer or MS, I know of one case in my wife's family but this was a few years ago, was exceptional then and I am not sure that it would happen now in the context of the current Shepherd book.

If a currently serving pioneer, MS or elder were to begin to attend university then that would without doubt call their qualifications into questions and probably lead to them being removed.

If the son or daughter of a currently serving pioneer, MS or elder begins to attend university then that also, as per the instructions in the Shepherd book, also calls into question their qualification and, in the current climate, would almost certainly lead to their removal.

Of course, the makeup of the BOE has an impact and if you are in an area where there are a number of educated elders then a person may find a more open minded view but, frankly, the public and private language of the WTBTS has gravitated to a taking a very very dim view of university education and most BOE would take the societies line without question.

• biometrics
    biometrics

I think there's hypocrisy on many levels. For example brothers (and sisters to a lesser extent) who have higher education get treated differently in the congregation.

The literature nearly always praises educated indviduals. They're filled with praise for educated individuals who became JWs. And always like to (mis)quote educated people to further their agenda.

• ronwashington
    ronwashington

It absolutely is hypocritical. I also find it dumb that a brother can lose privilges for going to college, yet if he applied to Bethel a few years later, he'd definitely be accepted if he were a doctor or lawyer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit