Isn't it hypocritical for the Governing Body to feature a biochemist in Awake! magazine but at the same time condemn higher education?

by matt2414 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• matt2414
    matt2414

The January Awake! has an entire article about a woman, a molecular biochemist, who became a Witness, and yet the Watchtower leaders condemn and blacklist any of their members who get a college education. I couldn't stop thinking about this as I read the article. The biochemist not only has a doctorate degree -- she's referred to as Dr. Paola Chiozzi in the article -- she apparently still works at a university and has done so for more than 20 years! The GB doesn't even allow Witnesses who go to college to have privileges in the congregation, so why would they feature and praise one in their journals? To be consistent with their man-made policies, shouldn't the Governing Body insist she give up her career in higher education and go into janitorial? Shouldn't she be pioneering instead of seeking riches?

For that matter, if the Governing Body really does have faith in God as they claim, shouldn't ALL the college-educated lawyers, doctors, nurses, architects, engineers, accountants, etc., at Bethel renounce their education and be sent out into the field as pioneers, while the uneducated members of the GB in Bethel rely on God to direct them through all their legal, medical and accounting problems? Of course, they would only do this if they didn't want to appear two-faced.

• make yourself
    make yourself

someone in a congregation in my area was an elder and that individual was head nurse in a hospital

• Satanus
    Satanus

This kind of double talk used to puzzle me, when i was a jw. Praise from higher ranking 'worldly' people was held up as validation. Higher ranking 'worldly'people in the cong were treated and talked about w defference. Why do they need validation from doctors, lawyers or politicians if they are closer to satan their god? And the jw org gets its validation/authority from johovah? It shows that their system is flawed.

S

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The January Awake! has an entire article about a woman, a molecular biochemist, who became a Witness, and yet the Watchtower leaders condemn and blacklist any of their members who get a college education. I couldn't stop thinking about this as I read the article. The biochemist not only has a doctorate degree -- she's referred to as Dr. Paola Chiozzi in the article -- she apparently still works at a university and has done so for more than 20 years! The GB doesn't even allow Witnesses who go to college to have privileges in the congregation, so why would they feature and praise one in their journals?

You haven't been paying attention in meetings. It is okay for the clergy to be educated. It is not okay for the laity to have anything other than the education provided by the spiritual food from the faithful slave.

• Still Recovery
    Still Recovery

Higher education is not condemned. Otherwise all JWs would simply be high school graduates. Also, you are not blacklisted if you receive higher education. Ive been in college fot several years and have never been blacklisted. So to answer the question honestly, no it isnt hypocritical at all.

• Still Recovery
    Still Recovery

I also have congregation privileges and everyone is aware I'm a university student. What congregation did you go to? Certainly nota normal.one.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Well, I checked her out online and it seems like she is a technician, not a researcher (if I'm right). (not that she isn't intelligent but there *is* a difference)

Her doctorate is likely in biotechnology -I don't know if the article is used for evidence that she as a biologist is anti evolution or what.

Seems like she has contributed to a lot of published papers. Too bad she is a JW.

• Satanus
    Satanus

'Higher education is not condemned.'

*** w56 5/15 pp. 313-314 par. 14 Careful Living Helps Avoid Life’s Pitfalls ***

: “Would it be proper for me to enter college? Will the broadening of my education enhance my capabilities later as a theocratic minister?” Whether a person should or should not seek such higher education is dependent on the individual and what he desires to gain from life, present and future. Up to this point he has been successfully guided by theocratic parents in harmony with godly principles—he is a successful young minister. Now, again, as many times before, he comes to a point in life where he must make a decision, and here too the parents can come to the fore as counselors. Being a sincere young Christian minister, he wants to make a right decision. He must decide whether his ambitions are toward the popular trend of materialism or not—whether he desires to get ahead in the world, to attain a high position and honor and esteem of men which a college education subsequently leads to. In making his decision he must bear in mind the question: How will this affect my position in the New World society and my relationship toward Jehovah God? College is too often a tool of the old world and is shaped so as to be used later in accomplishing its ideologies and to enhance success according to old-world standards.

*** w05 10/1 pp. 28-30 Parents—What Future Do You Want for Your Children? ***

The Cost of Pursuing Higher Education

9 When we think of cost, we usually think of financial expenditures. In some countries, higher education is government sponsored and qualified students do not have to pay fees or tuition. In most places, however, higher education is expensive and is getting more so. A New York Times Op-Ed article observes: “Higher education used to be regarded as an engine of opportunity. Now it’s certifying the gap between the haves and the have-lesses.” In other words, quality higher education is fast becoming the domain of the rich and influential, who put their children through it to ensure that they too become the rich and influential of this system. Should Christian parents choose such a goal for their children?—Philippians 3:7, 8; James 4:4.

10 Even where higher education is free, there may be strings attached. For example, The Wall Street Journal reports that in one Southeast Asian country, the government runs a “pyramid-style school structure that unabashedly pushes the cream to the top.” “The top” ultimately means placement in the world’s elite institutions—Oxford and Cambridge in England, the Ivy League schools in the United States, and others. Why does the government provide such a far-reaching program? “To fuel the national economy,” says the report. The education may be practically free, but the price that the students pay is a life engrossed in advancing the present system. Though such a way of life is highly sought-after in the world, is it what Christian parents want for their children?—John 15:19; 1 John 2:15-17.

11 Then there is the environment. University and college campuses are notorious for bad behavior—drug and alcohol abuse, immorality, cheating, hazing, and the list goes on. Consider alcohol abuse. Reporting on binge drinking, that is, drinking for the sole purpose of getting drunk, New Scientist magazine says: “About 44 per cent of [university students in the United States] binge at least once in a typical two-week period.” The same problem is common among young people in Australia, Britain, Russia, and elsewhere. When it comes to sexual immorality, the talk among students today is about “hooking up,” which according to a Newsweek report “describes one-time sexual encounters—anything from kissing to intercourse—between acquaintances who’ve no plans to even talk afterward.” Studies show that from 60 to 80 percent of students engage in this kind of activity. “If you’re a normal college student,” says one researcher, “you do it.”—1 Corinthians 5:11; 6:9, 10.

12 In addition to the bad environment, there is the pressure of schoolwork and examinations. Naturally, students need to study and do their homework to pass the exams. Some may also need to hold at least a part-time job while going to school. All of this takes a great deal of their time and energy. What, then, will be left for spiritual activities? When pressures mount, what will be let go? Will Kingdom interests still come first, or will they be put aside? (Matthew 6:33) The Bible urges Christians: “Keep strict watch that how you walk is not as unwise but as wise persons, buying out the opportune time for yourselves, because the days are wicked.” (Ephesians 5:15, 16) How sad that some have fallen away from the faith as a result of succumbing to the demands on their time and energy or of getting entangled in unscriptural conduct at college!

Are there any 'normal' congregations? Maybe, the ones that ignore the wt guidelines and use a little more common sense.

S

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

You all miss the universal dogma:

The smartest get educated and discourage the rest so they can have willing slaves to serve them.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

STILL RECOVERY????? An Elder just recently told me that at the Elders school it was explained in no uncertain term that If you had responsibilities in the KH, and you let your kid go to college, your spiritual maturity was in question and you could lose your position. I said " What if I want to send my kid to school to become a lawyer for the WTBTS?". Flustered with a vein popping out of his head, he said " The WTBTS doesn't need more lawyers!". If I was not in the truth and was a hotshot case winning lawyer who began studying, they would not hesitate for 1 second to use me to defend them in court. THAT is hypocrisy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit