Why does the Society allow women to speak in the congregations?

by Badfish 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Badfish
    Badfish

I know this sounds sexist, but you know what? The Bible IS sexist.

In order to establish that Birthdays cannot be celebrated, the Society references two obscure passages that mentions someone getting killed at a birthday celebration. However, nowhere in the scriptures does it say that birthdays are wrong.

But then, when the Bible is very clear about something such as this:

"L et the women keep silent in the congregations, for it is not permitted for them to speak, but let them be in subjection, even as the Law says. If, then, they want to learn something, let them question their own husbands at home, for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in a congregation. " (1 Corinthians 14:34, 35 NWT)

Every week they have women giving talks on the stage during the Theocratic Ministry School. And every Sunday, they allow women to raise their hand and speak over the microphone to the congregation during the Watchtower Study.

"Let a woman learn in silence with full submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach, or to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence. " (1 Timothy 2:12-14 NWT)

JW Women go from door-to-door each week and teach men about the Bible.

So why are they going against what the Bible says?

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Good Question! (based on that scripture you quote)

I would say they are allowed to comment/give talks beacuse when they comment or act out a demo / talk they are technically not "teaching"...just commenting.

It's funny, cause usually the sisters are smarter than the bros. anyway. :-) I remember being so nervous condicting Bk study when I was an MS because several of the sisters comments were better than any conducting / "teaching" I could do!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Good point Badfish, in ancient times woman weren't even allowed inside the temple of worship.

Religion over the centuries has been a game for men to endeavorer themselves with as a means toward establishing their own sustaining power

and prominence within and over their engaging social environment.

The WTS./JWS is just another acute example of such of this man made endeavor.

Wh ere there's the presence of the power of god, men will most likely try to obtain some that power for their consuming selves.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One thing the WTS. has always done is cherry pick what scriptures they want to use to reference their own particular agenda.

Since woman are able to go door to door pedaling their published goods why not teach them to be Watchtower sales Representatives,

its makes good economic sense.

• Badfish
    Badfish

One thing the WTS. has always done is cherry pick what scriptures they want to use to reference their own particular agenda.

That's true, for instance, when I was a teenager (and an unbaptized publisher) one time out in service I once said to a householder that I liked his tattoo. After leaving the house, the elder who had accompanied me to the door reminded me that we as Jehovah's Witnesses don't get tattoos because Leviticus 19:27 says: " YOU must not make cuts in YOUR flesh for a deceased soul, and YOU must not put tattoo marking upon yourselves. I am Jehovah."

But he failed to mention that the verse immediately preceding that one reads: "Y OU must not cut YOUR sidelocks short around, and you must not destroy the extremity of your beard." (Leviticus 19:26)

So if we were to use verse 27 to say we shouldn't get tattoos, then we should also use verse 26 to say we MUST have beards.

Cherrypickin'.

Of course, if they forbade women from speaking in the congregation and forced men to have beards, people might get them confused with Muslims. Maybe that's why they choose to ignore those scriptures.

• biblecheck
    biblecheck

"...for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in a congregation. " (1 Corinthians 14:34, 35 NWT)

My opinion on passages of scripture referring to "the woman's place in the congregation" changed after studying Roman history. For me it's pretty clear now that the "Christian principles" for women given by the apostles in the 1st Century were man-made rules, influenced by the culture of the time, rather than inspired by God.

Women having to be subservient in this way, was just how the world was in general then, and sad to say, for a long time after.

In the 1st Century, non-Christian women who were Roman citizens and independently wealthy had fewer public and social privileges than men - women of the highest social status in Rome couldn't even vote. All formal public positions of office were available only to men.

Girls were groomed to be good mothers, housekeepers and seamstresses rather than for positions of influence, such as scholars, officials, leaders, teachers and politicians - women were never considered for these roles.

Few famlies spent money on their daughter's education. A famous 1st C scholar Quintellian tried to change this, but as much as he was respected, he was too forward thinking for the time and had comparatively small influence in the improvement of female education.

The problem is all Christians cling to these antiquated and drachonian ways of thinking - believing it comes from God. This source of these sexist beliefs issues from insecure men, not God.

The reality is women are equal and just as adequately qualified to teach in any field as men. Any other line of thought in my opinion is based on fear and the attempt to control another sex.

Thank God the world is changing for the better in this way.

• Badfish
    Badfish

For me it's pretty clear now that the "Christian principles" for women given by the apostles in the 1st Century were man-made rules, influenced by the culture of the time, rather than inspired by God.

I agree with you that women are equal and just as adequately qualified as men to teach, but the Apostle Paul was using the Bible to back up his statements rather than man-made traditions. Right after he says this in 1 Timothy 2:12-14, "Let a woman learn in silence with full submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach, or to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence."

He goes on to say in verses 13-15: "For Adam was formed first, then Eve. Also, Adam was not deceived, but the woman was thoroughly deceived and came to be in transgression. However, she will be kept safe through childbearing, provided they continue in faith and love and sanctification along with soundness of mind."

• biblecheck
    biblecheck

----> BadfishI agree with you that women are equal and just as adequately qualified as men to teach, but the Apostle Paul was using the Bible to back up his statements...."

So you agree that "women are equal and just as adequately qualified as men to teach", but not qualified to teach the Bible. So let's look at that...

The Bible states that women must have fewer privileges and do not to have the authority of a man - why?

It says Paul based his decision on the order of creation (Adam first), and women are carrying the guilt of Eve's sin... because of this, they are not qualified to te ach, remain silent etc.

1 Timothy verses 13-15 "Adam was not deceived, but the woman was thoroughly deceived and came to be in transgression."

So because of Eve's sin women should remain slient and sbumissive in matters of the church and teaching.

What a load of utter mindless nonsense. To me saying women cannot teach because Eve was decieved, is no less ignorant and idiotic than believing that "blacks today are carrying the burden of Cain's sin"

One thing I have learned since exiting The Watchtower - just because it's written in a book and self-claims to be inspired of God does not prove it's inspired.

As mentioned,1 Tim and Corinthians tell women to SHUT THEIR MOUTH and do it in FULL SUBMISSIVENESS - while it's written in the Bible in a more congenial way it doesn't lessen what it's saying.

This conversation about women having their place and being submissive would be laughable if it wasn't actually believed by the ignorant masses in Christendom! This is so wrong on every level.

Nothing will convince me that the passages pertaining to women in 1 Tim 2 are inspired of a loving God. These are interpretations of ignorant men who have been influenced by the traditions of fools. These portions of scripture are trying to convince us that women are somehow lower than men and God also agrees with this.

I hope is one day that all woman on this plant will never have to endure or submit to this kind of sexist stupidity.

• Badfish
    Badfish

Nothing will convince me that 1 Tim 2 are inspired of a loving God

Then you believe that all of the Bible is not the inspired Word of God? Under this belief, people can pick and choose which parts of the Bible they choose to say is inspired and which parts are not, based on their own personal agendas.

• biblecheck
    biblecheck

Take it and judge how you want - your faith is yours, mine is mine.

But one thing is for sure, sexism and bigotry is always wrong - I don't care where it's written.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit