Just visited ex-Mormon site

by Phizzy 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

For some reason I thought I'd have a look see at an ex-Mormon site. Very similar experiences, difficulties, pain etc for them , as us.

One girl made a statement that really stood out, she said that for a born-in , especially one whose family had been in for years , it was like " losing citizenship in a country that contained all of your history, all of your culture, and all of your heritage."

I think that is so true, we leave and are immigrants in a strange land and culture that we know nothing about, no wonder it takes us a while to adjust.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

i have been reading up on them myself. they are very nice and well spoken but i think their religion is screwier than jws, not by much tho.

• cedars
    cedars

According to some figures Mormons are nearly twice the size of JWs, even if they are more confined to the Americas than JWs in terms of global spread.

Their beliefs are truly wacky. The Garden of Eden was in Jackson County Missouri, and the ancient Jews crossed the Atlantic and established a civilization in North America that vanished without leaving a scrap of archeological evidence. Truly crazy stuff for any cult to be teaching.

They are ruthlessly mocked in the recent Broadway musical "Book of Mormon" from the creators of South Park. I've heard some of the songs on YouTube, and they're hilarious. In many ways, I am jealous that the Watch Tower Society and Jehovah's Witnesses don't receive similar attention from some of the world's best creative/comedic geniuses. Comedy is one of the best weapons against any cult. Sadly, it seems that for a cult to get media exposure of any significance it need to be connected in some way with a movie star (Cruise) or presidential candidate (Romney). Tennis stars like Venus and Serena Williams just don't cut the mustard.

Cedars

• moshe
    moshe

It has been very hard to find any comedy in the JW religion- I am sure that jokes have been tried, they just don't get any laughs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Do Mormons excommunicate people just for disagreeing with the leadership? NOTHING is nuttier than that.

• Clam
    Clam

"we leave and are immigrants in a strange land and culture that we know nothing about, no wonder it takes us a while to adjust."

Maybe. Like leaving North Korea and emigrating to the free world.

• Nambo
    Nambo

"According to some figures Mormons are nearly twice the size of JWs"

Guess we burn more calories doing the field service?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Tee Hee Nambo !

Clam, where you been, Kentish coastal boy ?

I agree with Cedars that mocking, parody, satire etc, Comedy in general, is the best weapon against a cult, not easy really, theJW's are so damn silly they are beyond satire almost.

But , every opportunity we have, every post on here, should point out how very silly they are.

Lurkers will take that to heart, nobody likes to be thought of as silly, and as soon as they try to defend their position in their own mind, oh boy, "it really IS silly!"

• Clam
    Clam

Phizzy

How d'you know that?!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

According to some figures Mormons are nearly twice the size of JWs

According to census returns in various countries Mormons overstate their membership by something in the order of 500%. In terms of active members I think it is probable that there are fewer Mormons than JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit