My Dad Said He Loved Me

by cognac 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Sauerkraut
    Sauerkraut

Hi Cognac,

that's very touching. I'm glad he said that, I've read so many disheartening experiences here lately that it's easy to think they are all cold hearted people. It's good that you could forgive him, it's very hard to do sometimes but it's best for us. What's great is that in those 5 years you didn't compromise. I really wish that your Dad will indeed figure things out. And many, how about all others, will too. Hey, we can wish, right?

• SophieG
    SophieG

*tears*

That's a very special moment to be cherished.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

You are ONE lucky young man!

• nugget
    nugget

Like the JWs always say a life changing event such as a death in the family really helps people to re evaluate and be willing to listen.

• flipper
    flipper

COGNAC- I'm glad your dad has loosened up a bit, finally, and told you he loves you. My 85 yr.old elder dad STILL to this day in all my 53 years of life has NEVER said he loves me. My mom, yes, constantly, but not my dad. He's definitely got issues. I tell my 27 yr.old son I love him all the time. I was determined NOT to do the same thing to my kids

• Ding
    Ding

Very good news! I hope it keeps going and growing...

• 00DAD
    00DAD

That's beautiful, good for you ... AND for your dad!

00DAD

• cognac
    cognac

Do you think there'd be any real benefit for him to wake up, i.e. would he face loss of other family members, if he were DF'ed?

Yeah, I don't think it would benefit him enough. He'd lose my mom and some of my siblings. I'm not sure he gets how bad of an impact it's had on his kids - exempt with me cause I just couldn't hold back AT ALL...

What's great is that in those 5 years you didn't compromise.

Not sure if you'd call it a comprimise, but, I took some real good advice here and just stopped talking about religion (except every once in awhile I need to rattle my moms cage, lol) and just started building relationships that had nothing to do with religion.

My 85 yr.old elder dad STILL to this day in all my 53 years of life has NEVER said he loves me.

That's really sad flipper. That must be really painful... I'm sure he does - just doesn't know how to show it. And you should be VERY proud of yourself for learning from his mistakes.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, this is good news. I am happy for you.

"just stopped talking about religion (except every once in awhile I need to rattle my moms cage, lol) and just started building relationships that had nothing to do with religion"

I can relate to both parts of this. First of all, the wonderful project to help the natural personality shine in everyone around me, and rattling their cage!

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for sharing that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit