In a judicial hearing does the accused have the right to face his accusers?

by solomon 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• solomon
    solomon

If someone says they saw me smoking a cigarette do I have the right to challenge them face to face in the hearing room?

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

If it is someone you may have a point. If it is two you are d/f ed!

Do you expect the jc to by like a court? They won't give a damned s*** about what you ask.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

they will not let you to intimidate your witnesses. let it go!

• moshe
    moshe

Go ask the elders to sign your subpoena- and see what happens!

• AnonJW
    AnonJW

JUDICIAL HEARING:

“If the accused contends that he is innocent, the witness to the wrongdoing should be presented and their testimony should be given in the presence of the accused “

APPEAL HEARING:

“If the accused continues to contend that he is innocent, the witnesses should again give their testimony in his presence, he should be given the opportunity to respond”

• AnonJW
    AnonJW

Depends if they are following the rules! Know the rules and insist on them.

• biblecheck
    biblecheck

In the 1st Century, Governor Festus, whilst weighing the matter of judgement against Paul said to Agrippa, Acts 25:16 - " I answered them that it was not the custom of the Romans to give up anyone before the accused met the accusers face to face and had opportunity to make his defense concerning the charge laid against him. "

Even the Romans, as barbaric as they were in terms of judgment still afforded Paul this opportunity to meet his accusers face to face.

• ronwashington
    ronwashington

That's a good point Anon. I wonder how many JW know the rules for a hearing. Odds are they don't since the rules are laid out in the Flock book.

It's funny. People would tell me there's nothing secret in the book, which is true to an extent. However after having read it, there's a LOT of stuff that's only found in the book and letters to the BOE which serve as additions to the book. I feel like an idiot for not having snagged a copy of it when I was at Bethel. Anyone happen to have a link to a PDF version of it or something?

• solomon
    solomon

In Raypublishers jc the witnesses weren't there in person. Is this still valid or can the testimony be challenged?

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

The testimony can be challenged. Their own "two or three witness rule" is based on this. If you deny it, and they don't have multiple ones that allegedly saw you doing the deed, then they are not supposed to be able to do anything to you. Of course the elders can override or diverge from their own rules when they feel like it. It doesn't happen a lot (in my epxerience), but it can and does.

Good luck- let us know what happens please!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit