Why I appreciate this place

by mythreesons 11 Replies latest jw friends

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

Someone asked in another topic essentially what is your purpose in being here? What do you plan to accomplish? I thought I would start this topic as a result of that one.

I personally don't think I can 'change' anybody by being here...but the way I see it, this forum gives me a place to vent. It also helps those that leave and helps them to realize that they aren't alone.

I was a born-in 3rd generation JW, ex-bethelite & elder. My wife and I left 3 years ago, we were still only 32. We have three amazing boys that are now free of that place. The vast majority of my family is still trapped though, but one day they may stumble across a place like this and realize the same thing as I did. It's all a crock/scam, and they have been taken for a ride their whole life....and when that happens they will have the people here to help.

I feel that you can go through phases too from being a 'believer' to athiest to agnostic...then back to 'believer', then to athiest and back to agnostic. You name the place you are in life and you will find people here who are in the exact same place. You will find support here...no matter what place you are in. That is PRICELESS! One person's 'crazy, Bible thumping Christian' is another person's 'brother who can understand'. One person's 'too smart for their own good athiest' is another person's 'long lost twin who understands where I am in life'...

It doesn't matter where you are in life we have one thing in common...we realized what we were a part of and left. We have each other and for that I raise my glass of OJ (as it's still morning) and I say THANK YOU and I salute you!

How do you feel about this place?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Well said Mythreesons.....

I found this place ten years ago , and I am still here. Just to be in with the only group of people who can understand what it is to be an exdub, and cope with similar issues......Man, that is priceless!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Nicely put! I agree 100%

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

mythreesons, I was going to start a similar thread. I'glad you started it. It seems like the right time to discuss the reasons why we are here, what drove us and keeps us coming to this place.For me, it is not wanting to change anyone to my way of thinking as much as being able to share my thoughts and feelings with those who have lived a similar experience as I have. It's listening to and learing from the feelings and experiences of others. Some of us have been wounded more than others but only those of us who have lived the life of a jw can understand what it is to have lived this life. A life without Christmas, celebrating birthdays; having to sit while our schoolmates pledged allegiance to the flag of our particular country; having to be conscientious objectors, some going to prison for this belief. What dread we felt when out in FS of meeting our schoolmates. The list goes on and on... Not only did we grow up with the threat of a Third World War, we also lived with the threat of God killing us at Armaggodon, if we did not do enough in the work of the LORD, I mean borg.

This site also provides some real intellectual, religious, Biblical and scientific discussions. There's discussions on literature, poetry and just plain life. I like knowing what the WBTS is up to and the dumb things they have taught and are teaching; their doctrinal changes, their stupid and nefarious antics. Sometime I feel like I am trapped in the Hotel California, "You can check out any time but you can never leave." I don't feel like I have to leave this place to get on with my life, this site has become a part of my life, but not my LIFE. There are some pretty cool people on here, some very smart and articulate ones, some with problems, some who like to stir things up, but it's no different than I find out in the real world. I take the good things and leave the ones that may not be to my liking, just like in life. Anyway, that a little of my reasons for why I appricate this place.

• never a jw
    never a jw

I appreciate it because it offers public debate, common sense, and allows for differences between its members, from the very devoted believer to the staunch atheist. I also have found a stark difference between the "wonderful spiritual food" at the meetings of JW's and the much more intelligent, common sensical comments in here. This place has also been a great learning experience in the few months that I have been here.

Thank you Simon

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

mythreesons:

I feel similar to you, although I have no desire to change anybody. People can change themselves when the time is right.

This is a place or "club" for ex-JWs or those still trapped, to talk about their experiences and vent. It is good for mental health to vent especially since the JW religion's goal towards ex-JWs is to isolate them. Many JWs leave the religion and feel like they are the last person in the world. They feel they have nobody to relate their experiences to who can UNDERSTAND what they have gone through.

The people who join in recent years are honest, friendly and realistic people who either have been burned by the religion or just see through it and have had enough.

A good friend who is an ex-JW told me that leaving the religion is a "process". I tend to agree and see that you do go through periods of being a believer, agnostic, athiest and maybe back to a believer (in the bible) again. Possibly at some point, people may not post on the forum anymore, and that's fine too.

I am grateful to have this forum as a refuge for everybody.

• Clam
    Clam

Back in the day I used to come here a lot. It was the first time I'd met up with ex JWs after pretty much being on my own for years after fading.

I learnt a lot of course and met a great bunch of people, but I guess I drifted away a bit as I found seemingly never ending examples of the WT's miserable effect on people's lives really debilitating. I also felt I'd been adequately "recharged" by just being here too.

Now I've got some Dubs in my close family behaving oddly and appearing to have doubts so I'm back here to research what's going on in Borgland.

This place remains special to me though. Although I don't come here very often I know it's always here and the best place to come in a JW related dilemma.
    A bit like a nice old disfellowshipped Aunty.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

You were a bethelite? You never told me that? For how long? Dude.....call me!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I agree with your sentiments 100%

• flipper
    flipper

MYTHREESONS- I agree with your points as well . Great thread. This JWN board is really a great place to come and receive support from those of us ( most everybody here ) who have exited a dangerous organization ( WT Society & Jehovah's Witnesses ) that controls it's members by trying to tell them what they should think and how they should act. So here on this board we form unconditional friendships with people who are not clones of one another but individual human beings each with their own story of how they've escaped and attained their freedom of mind. Which is an awesome thing to cherish !

Also lots of great information we receive here in the way of knowing WHAT goes on inside the back rooms of the WT society- even before rank & file JW's or even the elders themselves know so we can be one step ahead of them in order to know how to deal with our JW relatives. So I appreciate this board personally for those things : giving and receiving support to others here and keeping up on the latest WT drivel or scandals in order to know how to cope with my JW family. Thanks for the thread ! peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit