CONDITIONAL Love

by Meadow36 18 Replies latest social entertainment

• Meadow36
    Meadow36

My Saturday morning routine...sitting down with a cup of coffee to catch up on Facebook happenings. Over the past year my list of friends has dwindled since being disfellowshiped. Not suprising, of course. My FB friends now are the teens that my son went to school with - I was very active in his schooling and it was a unique school with lots of field trips and parent participation and I always helped put on plays which my kids were in. These are good kids who give me a hug when we bump into them at the mall. They still comment on my inane posts (example; it's someones birthday and I say "I'm very glad you came into the world on this day and I think very highly of you" and they thank me with a smiley face). It's all the usual meaningless crap that happens on facebook. But it just hits me again - the bonds of true affection which couldn't be broken because of an announcement from a stage in a small building some night a year ago. I know my former witness "friends" can't help it. This is quite the meaningless ramble! I guess I'm grateful to "Satan" for hooking me up with some nice, loyal, good hearted friends of my kids who show me they care by not un-friending me!

• shamus100
    shamus100

Facebook can be quite silly but it can also be a great means to keep in touch. ;)

Normal (worldly) people won't unfriend you over such silliness. You could change your religion to Islam and I doubt they would unfriend you.

Jobie nitwits are the worst friends in the world and the sooner people cut ties with them and get real ones, the better. Frankly, the ones that still clung onto me and whined incessantly about 'the truth' I cut off. It's only a matter of time when they get all self-righteous and hurt you.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Meadow, thanks for sharing.

BTW, did you get the PM I sent you a couple of weeks back?

00DAD

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Meadow, a number of us are on Facebook if u want to friend up with some of us.

• Meadow36
    Meadow36

Thanks, OODAD! yes,I did - did you get the response I sent you a week ago? Thanks, Shamus. I know. I guess it's the only place where my worlds sort of came together. Now there's only the one world and I'm grateful for that. Glad that I did break the rules by having my kids particpate and have "worldly" friends and be friends with their parents.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Meadow, got it and back at you!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Meadow, you need to get out there however you can and build some new friendships, especially for you, because you are indeed that important. Do for yourself whatever you would do for a dearly loved friend. Meanwhile, yes, Facebook is great for some moral support. I've had to rebuild my life after 20 odd years in the WTBS, but to my amazement I have. If I can, at my late age, anyone can. Be assured.

Loz x

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It hurts when you suddenly lose friends. Being a JW, you are discouraged from friendships wit "wordly" ones. So all of a sudden you lose your entire support system. It takes time, but you will eventually gain new friends. In the meantime, cherish whatever family and friends you do have, even if they are your sons age. Its a start.

I moved recently and of course some of the friends fell by the wayside. But I worked on getting friends in my new area. I started doing volunteer work partially to meet new people. It took time, but I rebuilt by circle of friends. So bit by bit you will rebuild your support system. And these friends wont drop you like a hot potato because of your religion.

• Meadow36
    Meadow36

Thanks, ya'll I appreciate the boost. There was more care and thought put into your posts then into any reply I ever got from anyone on FB!

@wha happened - I'm thinking about the possible ramifications of FB friends from JWN, my 'secret place'! But I do appreciate the suggestion.

@ Loz and Lisa - thank you both for the encouragement. I will take it to heart!

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Facebook is evil.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit