Talked to an elder

by Nika Bee 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• aposta-Z
    aposta-Z

if doctrines and rules change, is it still the "truth"

The word truth is so loaded. To them it means what comes from the organisation. Not what is a fact.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Then he said something that made me speechles: in any case, if there is a case of abuse/rape there is always some joint guilt at the victim or the parent (they just haven't protected thair children well enough).

That's the attitude that allowed jimmy Saville to carry on with his abuse. People used to have it and still have, to some extent, in many areas of society. The Watchtower has it worst of all.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

"The word truth is so loaded. To them it means what comes from the organisation. Not what is a fact."

Now that's the truth

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    He said, if he had a case of child abuse in the congregation, which he thankfully hadn't at the moment (from which I concluded that there must have been something in the past, either before I was born, or something that was kept secret) the brother in question would never get any privileges.

A sex offender not having congregational privieges will NOT stop him from re-offending in or out of the congregation.

Then he said something that made me speechles: in any case, if there is a case of abuse/rape there is always some joint guilt at the victim or the parent (they just haven't protected thair children well enough).

Isn't that standard Watchtower thinking? Don't do anything that would warn the congregation or community at large about sex offenders in their midst, and then blame victims and their parents when abuse occurs.

• Eustace
    Eustace

He said, if he had a case of child abuse in the congregation, which he thankfully hadn't at the moment (from which I concluded that there must have been something in the past, either before I was born, or something that was kept secret) the brother in question would never get any privileges.

That doesn't mean anything unless he also contacts the police.

JUST CONTACT THE POLICE!

Isn't child abuse a serious enough crime to be worth the trouble of making a phone call?

All large orgs have some child abusers. Nobody in their right mind would hold that against an org.

What every decent person holds against an org is when people with authority in that org fail to do what any decent person would do when confronted with the accusation that so heinous a crime as child abuse has occured: CALL THE POLICE.

But instead of calling the police, the policy of the JW org is to "Call Legal" to see if clergy are legally obligated to report child abuse.

If you only do the moral thing when you're legally obligated to do it, what does that say about your morality?

It says you don't have any morality at all and that you are the lowest form of vermin.

• Eustace
    Eustace

How many more millions of dollars will the Watchtower Society have to lose to victims like Conti before they adopt a policy of always reporting child abuse to the police?

It takes really sick people to side with child molesters even at the expense of millions of dollars.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit