Talked to an elder

by Nika Bee 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nika Bee
    Nika Bee

I am at home now, my family knows that I am out and it's somewhat ok.

During the time I spent here, I had the interesting pleasure of talking to an elder who I've known since childhood. Just for the background, he always regretted not going to university and there where also issues with military service. But this discussion was kind of, well, interesting. (And sorry, this is not so easy to translate.)

- We talked about, why I am not going to meetings anymore. I told him one point was the way I was treated, he understood, but said imperfection of men should not keep you from rejecting god's organisation. He said as an elder he has seen many bad things inside, some are saying that you should not employ fellow brothers, but this doesn't keep him from trusting "the slave".

- Later we talked about changes in doctrines. He said, he knows things change constantly, for example the revelation book. He doesn't even listen to it, one shouldn't look to the details and overall it's much better than the catholic church who never makes changes.

He said he remembered '75, and it was a huge issue in his congregation, many where disgrunteled, angry, sad. But those who kept things in perspective thrived afterwards.

- I asked, if doctrines and rules change, is it still the "truth", was it all the time the truth, even if it was wrong later? He: Yes.

- I asked, if one shouldn't look for details, how do we know this is god's organisation.

He said, you have to look at the big picture.

I asked, what is the big picture, if doctrines and rules can change, and if he admits, there are issues with the love that is not shown as it should be.

He said, look at the work, at bethel, all the printing.

Me: Even if they print things that are wrong?

He just shrugged the shoulders.

- At some point he said, one doesn't need to be informed to know that this is god's organisation. One doens't need to know the history, only look what is now. Forget about 75 and other things it's not a big deal.

- We talked about child abuse. He said he would do anything to protect children. He hadn't heard about the Conti case. He said, if he had a case of child abuse in the congregation, which he thankfully hadn't at the moment (from which I concluded that there must have been something in the past, either before I was born, or something that was kept secret) the brother in question would never get any privileges.

Then he said something that made me speechles: in any case, if there is a case of abuse/rape there is always some joint guilt at the victim or the parent (they just haven't protected thair children well enough).

- We talked about why god is portraied so cruel in the OT. Apperently he had read an article, that said, in a conflict civil war the hatred is passed on from the parents to the childre, therefore it was the best Jehova could do for his people to order them to kill the children and women with their enemies, or to kill them at the flood.

I asked him, how he would feel in the situation if he was about to kill a child?

He said, well they will be resurrected anyway.

I asked, even the ones from the flood or Sodom and Gomorrha?

He said yes about the flood, and about Sodom and Gomorrha he wasn't sure - but he said, they were bad through and through anyway. And for sure all the children would probably be the same way.

Sorry, this is not very well written down. There were more things, but these were the main things I remember. We didn't end on a bad note, he seemed really confused though.

• perfect1
    perfect1

Hi Nika Bee!

Good for you for asking questions!

His answers are so inadequate, its possible he is experiencing his own doubts.

• moshe
    moshe
    He said, look at the work, at bethel, all the printing. Me: Even if they print things that are wrong? He just shrugged the shoulders.

I liked that one-

• darth frosty
    darth frosty
    Then he said something that made me speechles: in any case, if there is a case of abuse/rape there is always some joint guilt at the victim or the parent (they just haven't protected thair children well enough).

WOW?!?

• moshe
    moshe

They have new writers at Bethel- they work for peanuts- The brothers don't care about content, facts or flip/flops in the WT rag- just as long as it has the seal of approval from the Faithful Slave--

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    about Sodom and Gomorrha he wasn't sure - but he said, they were bad through and through anyway. And for sure all the children would probably be the same way.

Of course you have to find a way to justify this in your mind, that is the reasoning Watch Tower gives us, I used it too ... BUT

It you take a child out of a bad environment and put them in a positive and nurturing one ... such as a paradise earth full of righteousness and goodness ... is that child so bad through and through that this new environment filled with love wouldn't be able to reshape what they will become?

• Gayle
    Gayle

gee, a lot of shrugging of his shoulders, body language, a sign of helplessness it seems.

JWs say they are better than the Catholic religion. Not much to boast about really. The Catholics, I not defend, yet do not promise this world is ending soon (for a child 'soon' does not mean 20, 30, 50 yrs later). They do not deny children, holidays, birthday parties, college,,they don't make them do a church work as JWs must spend weekends and summer vacation going door to door alot,,go to longlasting days of conventions in whatever weather sometimes..The Catholic Church are the same as JWs to make the kids feel guilty about 'everything.'

Truth does not change; inaccuracies, lies and falsehood have to change all the time.

Obviously, the WTS has no control over the "pedophile" problem, and should admit it and should accept that Caesar (thank God for Caesar) will at least 'try' to do 'something' identifying, incarcerating them, getting registered for all to know when they are living in neighborhoods, requiring all reputable businesses and organizations for background checks. Amazing how 'wicked' Caesar has the moral backbone to try to get these people.

About Sodom and Gomorrah, the WTS has done 6 or 7 "flip-flops" about that one over some years . (Now, since the WTS has demontrated a record of their getting their kind of truth clarified taking a span of 93 years on one of their most important simpleton teachings, well, I just don't have that kind of time myself.)

Actually, the poor elder sounds stuck and depressed.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Your elder buddy has serious doubts. Deep down he probably worries that it is not The Truth. The only way he can continue embracing his path in The Truth is by ignoring all those obvious questions, because if they were answered, then he COULD NOT DENY............TTATT!

He chooses to not "see" it.

Doc

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

That is some pretty amazing stuff! His mind has literally been taken over. One premise and one premise alone - THIS IS GODS ORG

Everything else must fit around that.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Oh and that comment about victims being responsible is one of the sickest, most disgusting things I have ever read. But of course when we see the instructions from "mother" on this stuff I somewhat understand how these people say the damndest things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit