Saw my first JW literature cart

by undercover 13 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I saw a JW literature cart, and two dubs standing behind it this weekend. They set up at a popular well attended event in a small town that brings thousands of people from around the country. Even though I've been out and away from JWs for some time, and no longer identify as one of them, and the people I was with had no clue, it was a bit embarrassing to see the cart and cult zombies with it. As if someone would figure out that I was connected somehow. I could picture someone pointing me out, kinda like Donald Sutherland in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

But I did just as everyone else did on the sidewalk did...walked by without giving them a second glance. But - from a nearby vantage point, I had the opportunity to observe them for awhile. No one paid them any attention. Out of the hundreds of people that passed back and forth, only one person...yep, that's right...one person, stopped to look. And this guy spent entirely too much time chatting with them. I think he had to be either an apostate looking for fun, or some other evangelical trying to save their souls.

So...if any of you radical apostates were on the East Coast at a music festival looking to mix it up with some JWs at their little lemonade cult stand, I saw ya...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I had the opportunity to observe them for awhile. No one paid them any attention. Out of the hundreds of people that passed back and forth, only one person...yep, that's right...one person, stopped to look..... UC

It was a surprise the 1st time I saw them too..

Our experiences were the same..

....................................A Mannequin Could Do The Same Job..AND..

..................................................GET THE SAME RESULTS...

Image result for Business suit mannequinImage result for watchtower literature cartImage result for mannequin in business dress

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have seen them breaking the cart out of the car or loading it. I have seen them in downtown-type places. They are so far away from the main crowds though. They are "out of the way" of traffic, which is good.

But they don't approach people or hold some flyers to pass out. They are very passive in this work.

All that matters to a JW is "getting their time in." I think Watchtower is fully at the point where literature is a loss for them and they don't care that much is getting out to people.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Not long ago I also came upon a JW Literature Cart display while visiting a very populated shopping mall. The motionless JWs manning the literature exhibit were set-up afar off to one side where little to no traffic came even close to them. No one was paying the JWs any mind! At that time the words of Proverbs 24:30 came to mind: "I passed by the field of the lazy one, by the vineyard of the man lacking good sense."

....an hour or so went by. Upon my return I glanced over to the JW cart only to see a different set of motionless JWs just sitting almost in a state of dormancy. At that time Ecclesiastes 11:6 came to mind: "Sow your seed in the morning and do not let your hand rest until the evening...."

I can think of one word that sums-up what JWs are doing when they set-up their JW Literature Carts in public places.....LOITERING!:):)

• sporece
    sporece

Saw the same at the pier in Oceanside CA. two older guys, probably retired just standing there , not smiling and not saying a word to anyone, no one would even look at them.

Felt sorry for the " brothers " ....what a waste of time.

140 years of preaching of a paradise that will never come.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    When I've seen them they have been standing by their carts, young pioneer types, very engaged in conversation, gossip probably. Way off to the side, nobody was going to approach them. Total waste of time, but then again, what do I care if their meaningless literature doesn't get placed. They get to report their hours and feel holy.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yep, they are not even encouraged to make eye contact with passers-by...

This means that people who walk past actually feel AWKWARD, as if they are NOT supposed to notice the carts.

Basic marketing means that at least eye contact should be made!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

The cart is all over the place now and this is the first time you've seen one? Well, I guess that counts as luck or something

Like OWTO says he's seen the breakdown of the cart from the back of a car, i've seen the breakdown in a subway station and I must say, taking into account the table and trash (literature) I'm sure it was mentioned in the meetings that a brother must be present, that was quite a load they had their after they packed up. Just imagining those fools loading all that on the subway and carrying it up the stairs if their particular station doesn't have an elevator.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The cart in my town sits ironically in front of a store called The Reject Store ( two dollar store.)

The same pioneer couple set up right under the giant Reject part of the sign.

I am tempted to snap a pic and post it, it's comedy gold 😆

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

sparrowdown, "I am tempted to snap a pic and post it, it's comedy gold 😆"

Be sure to give them a copy and see if they pick up on the irony.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit