My Poodle learned how to unlock the gate.

by panhandlegirl 16 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

My daughter trained our cat to sit, lie down, shake-a-paw, and "go in" to his crate. Yup, just gotta convince him it's his idea to follow your advice. Patience, careful observation (know your dog), and sleight of hand.

• Jaime l de Aragon
  • Glander
    Glander

House dogs that are used to close contact with their 'masters', feel a lot of stress when the bedtime routine is changed. The clue is that your poodle likes to sleep under your bed. Little dogs like to sleep in small confined spaces because they can relax and rest without being in the typical canine alert guardian mode. We have a male chihuahua who used to keep waking us at night because he thought he was responsible for a whole house while we slept. Made him a bed in a small laundry room that we can close off. He sleeps like a baby, no 2 AM barking at racoons or vampires or whatever he thinks is attacking us.

As said above, a small kennel may seem cruel to the master, but many dogs find it secure and relaxing for night time.

Our other dog, a little female chi-mix, sleeps all night without a budge, under the cover next to us. She does fart.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

The criminal trait of dogs is evolving right before our very eyes, and give it a few million years or so, and poodles will be cracking safes, hacking computers, disarming alarm systems, etc. That would NOT be good.

KS, if dogs ever develop an opposable thumb, we are in trouble! There is nothing they will not be able to accomplish with an opposable thumb.

Jaime l de Aragon, that is one smart dog!

Jgnat, I do need to work on trainning the Poodle. When we first got him, he would get in front of the tv set when he needed to go outside. He quickly learned how to get our attention. He may be more intelligent than me. I will try your advice.

Glander, I did change the dog's bedtime routine. I had let them sleep with me, but stopped trusting them not to upset my room. Then,I started sleeping on the sofa so I could watch tv and they slept with me, but I found I was not getting the proper rest. I resumed sleeping in my room alone (bought a new tv for my bedroom) and that's when I bought the gate for my bedroom. I never thought about the dog's being under "stress" from the change in routine. The poodle is a very determined dog. I hate to say it, but I depend on my dogs for protection. They are small but they can alert me to anyone's presence near my house. I have had trouble with a man coming to my house in the middle of the night several times. He robbed my husband once. The last time he came at 0200, my son did not open the door, but showed him his gun through the window and told him to leave. He has not returned, but I am wary of his return. I am thinking of taking the dogs for trainning at Petsmart. Maybe I can teach them to obey better.

Thanks for all your advice and replys.

PHG

• ziddina
    ziddina

May I suggest steel chain and a combination-style padlock?

And don't ever spin the combination in front of the dog... dog

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

May I suggest steel chain and a combination-style padlock?

Well, THAT, too, and it helps if you actually CLOSE the lock (unlike in one of the videos, where there was no lock, or it was just dangling nearby).

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

There's a man who lives in my apt complex who has an interesting relationship with his white poodle. He's a very stylish color coordinated dresser and he and his poodle wear matching outfits, sunglasses, hats and shirts. They are always together. it's amazing to see.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit