My Poodle learned how to unlock the gate.

by panhandlegirl 16 Replies latest jw friends

• panhandlegirl
  • panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I bought some wrought iron gates to keep my poodle and chiwinnie in the kitchen,which has ceramic tile on the floor, and out of the living room while I am at work. I had no problem keeping them in the kitchen. Then I bought the same type of gate to keep them out of my bedroom. The poodle, Little Brother, did not like that. Two days ago, I awoke to find him under my bed. I just thought I had forgotten to lock the gate. The next night,I made sure to lock the gate but he got into my room anyway.Last night I took a piece of rope and wrapped it around the latch, but he chewed the rope up and unlocked the gate. I was mad at him but could not help laughing and admiring his intelligence and determination to get into my room and sleeping under the bed. I guess I will have to figure out another way to keep him from moving the latch and gettting into my room. I just thought I would share because it was funny and he is a smart dog.

PHG

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, poodles are very smart. Good luck breaking that habit.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I have an idea! How about crate training your poodle for bedtime?

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

This has an added advantage of making it much easier to gather up your pet to take him to the Vet or wherever. When crate training is done right, the crate is a welcome sanctuary for the dog.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

jgnat, I tried that and the Poodle bent the bars. My daughter is a buyer of animal products and she showed the crate to the manufacture of the crate and he could not believe it. They sent me two new crates and somehow I never received either one. I may try a metal chain to keep the latch secure. This dog insists on being by my side at all times.

PHG

• Jaime l de Aragon
  • jgnat
    jgnat

Poodles are very attached to their owners. The dog is only doing what is natural. Highly inventive though!

I would start with the crate in your bedroom with the lid off. It has to be associated with good things to be accepted.

Then slowly move it farther away until it is outside your room.

Would it help if your poodle can still see you while in the crate outside your room?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Many poodles (the smartest ones) are just about as untrainable as a cat.

They do exactly what they want to and nothing else.

I had one, a semi-miniature named Ralph - who was just like that.

He learned to climb a 6-foot chain link fence so that he could get out.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Jaime l de Aragon, I watched my poodle undo the lock and he used his nose, much like the dog in the video, it's just so funny; they are so smart.

jgnat, he had been sleeping just outside my room by the gate, but I don't think he would get in the crate, he's too smart for that. Like james-woods said, he will do exactly as he wants. He does not trust a crate. He may be too smart for me. lol.

james-woods, Many poodles (the smartest ones) are just about as untrainable as a cat.

They do exactly what they want to and nothing else.

That's my dog, I guess I am just going to try to oursmart him, if that is possible. WOW, james, with a poodle like yours, maybe I don't stand a chance!

Thanks for replying.

PHG.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

You have a responsibility to punish that poodle, LHG. Sorry, but there is no other alternative to prevent a future canine crime wave which has already started.

The criminal trait of dogs is evolving right before our very eyes, and give it a few million years or so, and poodles will be cracking safes, hacking computers, disarming alarm systems, etc. That would NOT be good!!!

More evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWrKzYxAp9I

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit