Telling family about "new light"

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Sir82 said:

"Those 2nd century - 19th century guys were anointed, but they were not part of the "faithful and discreet slave". They have in effect created a 2-tier system of anointed Christians - those of the FDS, and those who are not."

OK, but that article is describing the domestic slaves (who may or may not be anointed).

Soooo, who was performing the role of the FDS before 1919?

Were those domestics feeding themselves for 1,900 years?

And where exactly WAS the FDS from 33CE to 1919CE (perhaps out drinking)?

If the FDS was nowhere to be found, and wasn't feeding the domestics for 1900 years, then WHY EXACTLY should the slave be deserving of reward for a job well done when the master returned in 1919 (that is, if the master can find the head slave)?

They've re-interpreted the parable, alright, but messed up the time-line, and have even made themselves out to be the evil servant (eg Olin Moyle's charges as supporting evidence).

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Brilliant thread Billy! I'll have to see how I can incorporate the points into conversation too.

Thanks!

CoC

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Don't tell them

Get them to vigorously defend the old light ............ before they read the noo lite in an official publication or hear it at a convention. The more adamant they are, the better.

Question them so that they leave themselves no loopholes to crawl through when they get the noo lite.

Get them to stake their claim to be followers of Jehovah's organisation on their belief in any, and every, doctrine that is about to be tossed in the trash.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Very, very interesting thread, Billy.

Jgnat,

I leak the "new light" to my JW hubby all the time. I don't comment too much what I think about it, just that I know. It adds to my cred.

This made me smile. I love your attitude!

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Billy the ex Bethelite, if that is you picture of you, you are butt ugly. However, in all seriousness I appreciate your struggle and comments. Hear Hear!!

• Clam
    Clam

This is a helpful thread from my point of view.

I haven't looked into JWN for an age, but some of the dubs in my family seem to be going through a change, for want of a better expression. My sister and her husband who've avoided the subject of "the truth" (oh how that expression still grates ) for so long are rattling the sabre again. I really don't get what's going on though. They've recently been conducting a study with the guy over the road from me who's a minister. This is weird in itself as I remember the clergy being an anathema and a lost cause when I was in.

The minister has consequently reported to me that they admit that they "have doubts." Never thought I'd hear that!
    They recently came to a family funeral and sat right at the front of the church. Not long ago they wouldn't even set foot in there.
    BUT, when I went round their house a few weeks back, they said that if I'd got there a bit earlier I could've had a Bible study with them. Eeek!

But the other evening they popped round and my sister started going on about the church we'd met up in and waffled on about Pagan this and idolatry that, and then came out with a load of BS about how the Dubs couldn't build new Halls quick enough. Unfortunately I bit and asked them how they could slag off other religions when they've had so many daft modifications to their own beliefs dished out by what is in effect a publishing company. "New light" was obviously used to fend off that one, along with a look of horror at my counter-attack (for years I've let them get away with their snide remarks).
    However there was an agreement to talk about it another time. I felt disappointed in myself that they'd wound me up though. I came back here to look at what's going on and have now found out about the new light re the anointed. Extraordinary! Also the Conti case I'd missed in the news. In regard to a choice of ammunition they're the organisation that keeps on giving. haha. I knew coming back here would add to my problem of not knowing where to start but this gem of new light is a really good one. Also does anyone have any info on this Doogie Howzer character who's due to join the fossils on the GB?

BTW - nice to be back here.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

In a parable, Jesus indicated that from the first century onward, there would always be some genuine anointed Christians on the earth.....Let uis consider a few examples."

Nothing in this new teaching contradicts that.

Those 2nd century - 19th century guys were anointed, but they were not part of the "faithful and discreet slave".

They have in effect created a 2-tier system of anointed Christians - those of the FDS, and those who are not.

It seems to me that has been a two-tiered system in place for some time before the " Nu-lite ". Check this question from readers W 75 5/1

Without a doubt, if one of the anointed unrepentantly falls away, Jehovah does call another individual to take his place. (Romans 11:17-22) However, the number of genuine anointed ones who have become unfaithful is likely not large. On the other hand, as time has gone by, some Christians baptized after 1935 have had witness borne to them that they have the heavenly hope. (Romans 8:16, 17) Thus, it appears that we cannot set a specific date for when the calling of Christians to the heavenly hope ends.How should a person be viewed who has determined in his heart that he is now anointed and begins to partake of the emblems at the Memorial? He should not be judged. The matter is between him and Jehovah. (Romans 14:12) However, genuine anointed Christians do not demand special attention. They do not believe that their being of the anointed gives them special "insights," beyond what even some experienced members of the great crowd may have. They do not believe that they necessarily have more holy spirit than their companions of the other sheep have; nor do they expect special treatment or claim that their partaking of the emblems places them above the appointed elders in the congregation. They humbly remember that some anointed men in the first century did not qualify to serve as elders or ministerial servants. (1 Timothy 3:1-10, 12, 13; Titus 1:5-9; James 3:1) Some anointed Christians were even spiritually weak. (1 Thessalonians 5:14) And sisters, although anointed, did not teach in the congregation.

So before the Nu-lite, anointed ones were not granted special insight. Which is not consistent with bible teachings. Christ told his followers the Holy spirit would lead them to the truth, ALL OF THEM. So anointed ones are not to even question the Elders who are merely other sheep. Even when this article was written the GB is top dog. Even though they contradict themselves by claiming special insight, but at the same time claiming to be genuinely anointed ones who do not claim special insight. So one thing that is clear, is that they have always felt that they ( GB ) have special insight, and no other members of the FDS " class " did. The problem was how to make it official. It wasn't a big deal until the number of partakers started to grow every year, so much so that the dwindling number of the remnant had to be removed as a " line of evidence " about the nearness of the end from talk outines. They could not have members of the FDS class, that Christ foretold, contradicting their teachings. So they eliminated that class to buy themselves some time. They simply chose a path where they believed they could keep the damage under control with fast moving symposiums at conventions, coupled with a never ending to-do list for the sheeple to keep them so busy they can't think straight, plus articles to cause the cycle of guilt and works to continue.

So the sentiment has always been there, it is just becoming official new light. Most will swallow it. If we hammer out the details, at least those waking up might get some help. What else can you do? You can't make someone see.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have found from family and dubs on J W Talk, that our reaction is much greater than theirs.

"Isn't that what we always believed?" is a common one

"Well, it is only details about words, semantics"

It is like they have been doped down and now just take whatever they are given, and believe what they are told to believe

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Very interesting post, Billie.

A two tier anointed system has just been carved in stone, but has been suspected for many years.

I too have been discussing with my relatives these changes and thoughts. I think that this will start some more announcements and changes in the ORG in the near future.

I have enjoyed all of the comments on this thread, and especially Leo's summary of the changes.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

As it turned out, the folks were so happy to see me that almost nothing JW came up the whole time. Mom mentioned to me that Br. Lazya$s in their congregation just lost another job because he kept taking days off for no good excuse. The only WT litteratrash I saw were the magazines in the bathroom. As I've said before, those ragazines have a laxative effect. All I have to do is read about half a farticle and I feel the urge to go.

I filled them in on everything going on with school. I'm crazy busy with classwork, professional societies, internship interviews. Again, I make it clear that I'm very happy with the direction my life is going, so they are happy for me, too.

So, I didn't bring up the "new light" to Mom, but I did tell Dad. Instead of being in any way adversarial or apostate-mentally-diseased-hostile, I started by asking, "Has Br. Knows-it-all told you the latest news from the Annual Meeting?"

Dad, "No."

So I told him the news in the order of my opening post. Dad agreed that they've got a lot of rewriting and reinterpretation to do to close all the holes in this mess. And I told him about the new GB member. His reaction was, "sheesh."

Black Sheep: "Get them to vigorously defend the old light ............ before they read the noo lite in an official publication or hear it at a convention. The more adamant they are, the better."

In this case, we had already talked about this exact subject and how WT had misused this illustration as a prophecy that was not making sense and would continue to be problematic for them. We also discussed the problem of 144,000 since there were way too many first century Christian martyrs and 19/20th century partakers for that to be literal. We've discussed flaws with their explanation of a first century GB.

Part of the foundation that I've laid with my parents is that I've made it clear that they don't need to bother defending these teachings to me or anybody. The way our relationship is, we don't raise our voices. We're all pretty good about keeping to facts apart from emotion and speculation. Regardless of who or where the questions come from, something that is true will be able to defend itself... ITSELF. And I've certainly been in that place where I'm trying to defend something JW that I don't agree with and that can't defend itself. And then WT comes out with a new interpretation that turns everything upside down, like they repeated changes to "generation." So why should I bother to defend something that's going to be 100% abandon by WT at any moment. Whatever is "truth" should be ready, willing, and able to defend itself.

Frankly, this hasn't resulted in my parents completely abandoning the KH. But they take longer vacations, and I suspect that they are giving less money to the cult. Most importantly, they seem to be happy and I don't detect any underlying tension. They go through all the JW motions, but I think they've made some kind of mental distancing from WT and the leadership.

We'll see what the future brings...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit