Watchtower on Global Indexing & ETFs

by TJ Curioso 26 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Yes, it is the HYPOCRISY & the underhanded 'not for the rank & file to have knowledge of' attitude of the borg that floors me.

The BORG wants YOUR money, even your KIDS pocket money, guilting you into thinking you haven't given your all to big ole J if you're just giving money out of your surplus.

What sacrifice is that??

No, the Borg guilts you go into going the extra mile like the poor widow, she put her only means of living in the collection box.

Why don't you have faith like her?

She had faith that Jehovah would look after her, lillies of the field etc.........why don't you?

SHE HAD GIVEN HER ALL!.......why wont you?

SHE WAS HOLDING NOTHING BACK!......why are you?

AFTER ALL, EVERYTHING ALREADY BELONGS TO JEHOVAH!

THE MONEY IN YOUR POCKET ALREADY BELONGS TO JEHOVAH!!

So give it to us, the WBTS & we will use it in 'THE WORLD WIDE WORK OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES'

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

ETFs are incredibly common these days, even for individual investors. They're very similar to a mutual fund. For anyone wondering what an ETF is exactly, or how one works, here is a good explanation:

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/etf.asp#axzz29kS9Cw8P

I'm going to back up Blondie and say that any large multinational corporation (including a non-profit) will invest a portion of their liquid assets in the market. Most of these institutional investors carry conservative investment mandates, so investing in something as historically stable as ETFs benchmarked against indices would be completely appropriate with that type of mandate.

To my knowledge, the WTS has never said "you can't" or "don't" invest, it has simply cautioned that doing so carries certain risks and not to invest in a way that demonstrates greed. Sorry, this just doesn't strike me as conspiritorial or hypocritical.

R_O

• solomon
    solomon

R_O

To my knowledge, the WTS has never said "you can't" or "don't" invest, it has simply cautioned that doing so carries certain risks and not to invest in a way that demonstrates greed. Sorry, this just doesn't strike me as conspiritorial or hypocritical.

Sorry, they are hypocrites.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/239825/1/Alex-lost-his-house-playing-the-stock-market

• solomon
    solomon

heartofaboy:

The BORG wants YOUR money, even your KIDS pocket money, guilting you into thinking you haven't given your all to big ole J if you're just giving money out of your surplus.

you also forgot to add they want your Elderly Parents money too.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I guess I read "Alex's" experience and walk away with the message of, not that "investing in the stock market is wrong; don't do it," but more "don't invest in the stock market if you can't afford it. And for the love of God, don't use all your savings, borrow money, or lose your house doing it."

Alex would have been better off investing in index-based ETFs!

• solomon
    solomon

R_O:

IMHO the average dub will walk away from that watchtower study thinking that investing in stocks is wrong. Why don't they give examples of people

who have made a lot of money in the stock market to balance things out.

You are correct that Alex took on more risk than he could afford by trading on margin.(if Alex even exists?) The problem with examples like this is that

they demonize investing and saving for the average dub equating it with being in bed with Satan.

from jan 2013 watchtower:

"But he learned an important lesson."I now know that anyone

who puts his trust in Satan's system will be profoundly disappointed." "

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Thanks 'Sol' I did forget about the Borg guilting elderly JW's into handing over their life savings to the WBTS so they can look after for Jehovah......

Hypocritical sods.

The Borg has ALWAYS shed a negative light on investing in 'Satan's system'.

The average dubbie has absorbed this negativity over many decades.

The average dubbie would be VERY surprised that the borg is investing the money contributed in 'Satan's system'

Still the borg can do no wrong in the mind of the average dubbie, most will just ignore the hypocrisy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit