More on Punctuation

by compound complex 102 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• compound complex
    compound complex

That one's a keeper, Miss Drew!

I read a piece last night on the liberties a poet may take in how he may or mayn't put stops in his verse. More later . . .

Thanks, Phizzy!

I was stopped in my dirty little tracks when I read that the only true stops are the period, the comma, the colon and the semi-colon. Seems the 'sclam and ? are tone-setters. Into this matter I must delve further. ???

Gratefully,

CoCo Colon or Semi, depending on my mood

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

AP guide -- it's a wonderful thing to own (or download.)

I worked for Demand Studios for a while. Those editors are demons about punctuation. I learned quite a lot. I even wrote an article about ellipses, after doing my research.

• still thinking
    still thinking

CoCO....I am developing a new found love of the english language. Good thread. Thanks

(of course it is plain to see that I have no idea how to use punctuation correctly, and my sentence structure is rubbish. But I'm working on it)

Could someone please explain to me when to use the (;) in a sentence. And the (:). I will love you long time if you can give me an example...LOL

• ziddina
    ziddina

Crud, I can't see Heaven's visual aid...

Ah...

There we go.

• Scully
    Scully

*swoons*

• Farkel
    Farkel

She said comma quote your grammar stinks period end quote I replied comma quote so does your breath period end quote

Farkel, Literalist CLASS

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, dear friends, for your wonderful posts!

Farkel, you're a hoot (are you aware of that?); still thinking, I'll get back to you . . .

Pardon, impossible to be sent to Siberia.

Pardon impossible, to be sent to Siberia.

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Examples of semi-colon and colon use:

The semi-colon is like a weak period. Two independent clauses (complete statements with subject and verb) that are related may be joined as follows:

I regularly eat a lot of vegetables; today I will have squash and eggplant.

A colon can be used to form a link between a declaration of a matter and the follow-up information:

I am making a list of my favorite vegetables: turnip, celery, rutabaga, parsnip.

There's more, of course!

CoCo

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I used to have trouble with i.e. and e.g. I've got it straight now, thank goodness. i.e. means "in other words," and e.g. means "for example." I understand they are always in small letters, even at the beginning of a sentence.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Hortensia:

[. . .] and always followed by a comma:

i.e.,

e.g.,

Gratefully,

CoCo, that is . . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit