New Red Dawn movie- do you think it could happen?

by moshe 31 Replies latest social entertainment

• moshe
    moshe

Coming to theaters at Thanksgiving- the premise is a new class of EMP weapons paralyzes our military and allows a foreign power to invade the USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGoe7BdGdlg&noredirect=1

• moshe
    moshe

Inside the Ring: North Korean EMP

By Bill Gertz

-

The Washington Times

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

FILE - In this April 13, 2012 file photo, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, right, applauds with military officers as he attends the unveiling ceremony of statues of late leaders, Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il on Mansudae in Pyongyang, North Korea. (AP Photo/Vincent Yu, File)

Enlarge Photo
    FILE - In this April 13, 2012 file photo, North Korean leader ... more >

Recent satellite navigation jamming by North Korea's military near the demilitarized zone and a report in a Chinese journal are raising new fears that Pyongyang is developing electromagnetic pulse weapons.

A communist-owned monthly journal in Hong Kong reported last month that the GPS jamming of aircraft navigation systems that was traced to North Korea is part of asymmetric warfare capabilities of the reclusive communist state.

The Bauhinia journal article, by military commentator Li Daguang said the new capabilities threaten South Korea's information and electronic warfare capabilities.

"North Korea has always planned to develop small-scale nuclear warheads," the article said. "On this foundation, they could develop electromagnetic pulse (EMP) bombs in order to paralyze the weapons systems of the South Korean military - most of which involve electronic equipment - when necessary."

In fact, Chinese analysts believe North Korea is working on small nuclear warheads that could produce "super-EMP bombs," the report said. "Once North Korea achieves the actual war deployment of EMP weapons, the power of its special forces would doubtlessly be redoubled," the report said.

EMP bombs emit high-powered electronic magnetic waves that destroy or severely disrupt all electronics within a large area of the waves.

The bursts were first discovered during above-ground nuclear tests and several states are now developing EMP weapons that produce the same shock waves without having to produce a nuclear blast.

"Currently, many nations such as the United States and England, and including North Korea, are researching and developing EMP bombs," the report said.

"A number of experts have analyzed the matter and believe that North Korea's EMP studies have reached a rather high level. Even though there are differences between GPS-jamming radio waves and EMP, they both use electromagnetic waves."

Peter V. Pry, a former CIA official who is executive director of the Task Force on National and Homeland Security that advises Congress on EMP and other threats to the critical infrastructures, said the Chinese article on North Korean EMP highlights the problem of what the U.S. could face in the aftermath of a nuclear EMP attack by Iran or terrorists.

An EMP attack would be worse than the recent East Coast power disruptions that closed businesses and federal agencies, disrupted emergency services and communications, caused massive food spoilage, blacked out gas pumps and traffic signals and left millions without air conditioning during a heat wave.

Mr. Pry said the blackout was minor compared to a nuclear or natural EMP disaster.

"Rogue states or terrorists armed with a single nuclear weapon detonated at high-altitude over the United States could cause a protracted blackout nationwide, that would last months or years and might even be unrecoverable," he said in an interview-"

Read more: Inside the Ring: North Korean EMP - Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/18/inside-ring-north-korean-emp/#ixzz28dLRDPJa

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

North Korea: Crazy dictatorship who likes to recruit it's Special Forces members at an early age, usually from an orphanage. Still, they are a legend in their own mind. If countries were religion then NK would be the JW's, comparatively small with the leaders generally content to dominate their own. They don't really matter. Could they launch a nuke or EMP? Sure, but that would be signing their death warrant. They exist until a bigger fish finds something worth taking from their territory. Now " Yellow Dawn " is more realistic. The take over will be gradual and involve economic warfare. Now a massive EMP would be devestating, but no one really wants that mess. Who wants to rebuild infrastructure? The Governments want relatively slow take overs, just like the Governing Body. Keep the ideals alive and slowy advance your cause through subsequent generations. It's the long CON, but it works. The only blantant action you will see is when you need to install or remove a smaller power in key regions, or as a distraction. No one is going to attack the U.S anytime soon. I would say that is a Hollywood fantasy. But THIS could happen to Bethel or Warwick soon...

Uh, ohhh... time for some new light on tithing, we gotta rebuild!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

More or less like dd said. North korea is a rabid rat that makes a lot of nice. But, it's really in bad shape, internally. South korea would likely neutralise it, if things boiled over.

China is another story. But, imo, they aren't interested in doing american style invasions. I think that they are already doing what they would do. No shots are fired in their 'take over' .

No disrespect to you, but the invading of america by foriegn troops marching down american city streets is an almost purely american idea. The media and power figues all beat the fear drums to the american psyche. Also, america's history from its beginning right up to the present moment has been one of invading others - expansionism. The present arab wars are a culmination of that mentality. Everything is a war to them; the war on drugs, the war on poverty, the war on terrorists. They expect others to have the same atitude towards them as they have to others. And, they know so litlle about other countries like china russia and their histories. The american system sees to that. America is, at the present stage, like an adolescent, going through puberty, imo. Europe, the middle east, especially the far east are much older than is america.

S

• moshe
    moshe

Who can say what countries might be forced to try in order to survive a climate change- we don't seem to be able to stop the slow crossborder invasion of economic refugees.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Immigration is really, a natural process that they call migration, when lower animals do it. People and animals naturally follow the resources. I suppose it can be seen as a form of invasion. The corps that run the govt encourage it in order to get cheap labor. That's why it can't be controled, cuz the people that could control encourage it, instead.

S

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

At the moment, no nation (besides the US) has the airlift or sealift capability to carry out a large scale invasion of the US.

They would first have to set up large operating bases in North America or Latin America. These would broadcast their intentions long before anything happened. And they would be vulnerable to interdiction. The Pacific and Atlantic and the US naval/aviation strengths are the very reason the US is still unconquerable physically. It could be destroyed (by nuclear weapons) or badly damaged (such as by EMP), but not invaded. Not on any sizable scale.

The premise of the movie - Sudden EMP disaster, followed by equally sudden invasion - is untenable - at this time. Even for Russia and/or China. Even if they were to try an airborne invasion, they don't have the capability to resupply at such long ranges, not for any sizable invasion

Also, US seabased forces would exact a heavy nuclear toll on any nation that would try. I believe land-based nuclear forces (and the Presidential chain of command authority) are also hardened against EMP.

Also, I don't know what the movie means by "a new type of EMP weapon." There is no "new EMP." Electro-magnatism doesn't change. There are new ways of creating an EM pulse.

All-in-all, as someone above said, it is an American movie, perhaps driven by American fears, but not foreign realities. But I will say that the idea of the US losing its world power status (because of its own self-inflicted weaknesses) may be bihind the movie idea.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

I can see the North Korean reaction to the movie now:

"The war-mongering Americans attempt to create hostility towards the peace-loving DPRK so as to facilitae an American invasion of Korea."

The Chinese reaction:

"Movies like this aren't very helpful."

The Russian reaction:

None. They've seen stuff like this before (Firefox, Red Dawn, Amerika) and know that Americans are hopelessly caught up in their entertainment.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

In my previous Yahwehistic/Jesusistic life, I converted a former member of the Central Committee of the East German Communist Party. He had disagreed with the Stalinist line and supported the Titoist (Yugoslavia) line and people stopped talking to him (just like the JWs do), and as there was no Berlin wall at that time, he just walked into West Berlin and asked for asylum, eventually finishing up in that well-known bastion of freedom, Australia.

We got on very well and had lots of talks. One interesting thing he told me, is that they were taught at the Party school (aka, Elders school) not to believe their own propaganda. Propaganda was just that- propaganda.

So I feel quite amused about the Red Dawn film. I see it as just propaganda (for the restless American masses). Its no different to the rubbish the North Koreans are fed, and for the same purpose. We were fed the same crap as witnesses, telling us how good it was to be on the Jesus/Yahweh side and how we'd win out in the end, even though we may go through difficult times.

Just compare the Red Dawn movie to this video that purports to be of the training that NK soldiers undergo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa_yTBtt244&feature=related

and see if there are similarities? BTW, I have not sought to find who made the NK training film. It could possibly be completely fake.

------------

On a more serious note, I've taken two units of Korean History this semester covering traditional and modern Korea. There is a lot I could say, as the west's fantasy construct of NK is a bit different to the reality.

And, no-one should sell the NK Army short. As far as outsiders can tell it is a well disciplined force. You laugh at it at your own peril. It should also be remembered that the USA, with all its blitzkreig might. has not won a war on the Asian mainland since WW2 (Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan), even though its opponents were inferior in technical matters, military training and economic might.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

BTW, Moshe, quoting the Washington Times on this subject is a little like quoting the Watchtower on the topic of Jehovah's Witnesses. The WT (Washington Times) is (was?) owned by the Reverend Sun Myung Moon of the Unification Church (the Moonies).

Moon is an enigma, he is said to oppose Communism, but has maintained good ties to the Kim family in NK. I do not doubt the possible chaos that such weapons (spoken of) could cause. But why the article? What purpose does it serve? We can no longer ask Moon as he is now on another planet (grin)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit