Books

by larc 32 Replies latest jw friends

• JAVA
    JAVA

larc,

Now I have no idea what your next question is? Do JWs have higher or lower concerns about mental illnesses?

I don't understand why you couldn't understand a non-understandable question. I spent 20 years as a JW perfecting the art of saying nothing--looks like I've perfected the skill.

I want to know if you think the Witnesses have a higher rate of mental illness compared to other groups in the same population?

JAVA, working the Coffee Shop territory

Edited by - JAVA on 1 February 2001 15:52:0

• waiting
    waiting

Hey y'all,

Thanks for deepening this discussion - I can float on top of it, but not dive in.

If some down trodden women with three kids by five different fathers gets her life straightened out that's grand. -larc

Good trick, eh?

I believe folks with some mental disorders are attracted to some high-control denominations because things are more black and white for them. Perhaps their mental state of disorder seeks physical order. Maybe that's not the case; perhaps high-control groups are more needy for members, thereby attracting some who are less welcome in mainline denominations. - java

I agree with java's opinion, but I think the reason is broader than black/white. During the 60's - Catholics came into the org. by the droves. I think they were searching - but did like many wives/children of alcoholics - go back to what they know. High control to high control. I did that, at least on some level, you know what's coming - better than not knowing and be caught off guard.

I was also looking for security, a firm answer (which is black/white.) Because of my background - my memory & perceptions tended to be fluid and/or black/white. To find a place which gave me the answers was a comfort. The hope was nothing but the best. Eternal peace, security, love of god, life. Just wait on Jehovah and follow our "advice".

Does the org. attrack mentally insecure persons? Imho, yes.

The major psychoses of schizophrenia and bipolor disorder are geneticaly inherited and are a form of brain desease. You get it no matter where you live. larc

I agree. Depression, instability, frustration, etc., are quite different than the above. I have a friend who has strong bipolor disorder. Her father is in a halfway house, where his wife visits, her son has already been diagnosed, and his blood screened on a regular basis (he was 11 when first tested and confirmed.) She's catholic.

Thank you, sirs, for this discussion - very interesting.

waiting

• JAVA
    JAVA

waiting,

During the 60's - Catholics came into the org. by the droves. I think they were searching - but did like many wives/children of alcoholics - go back to what they know. -- waiting

The 60s was an interesting period for many of us. The Vietnam War didn't make sense, yet the body count came in daily. It was the first time many in the United States realized our leaders would lie and cover up. Young people were in the streets protesting the war while burning draft cards, the flag, smoking pot, and questioning authority. The Catholic Church was also going through changes at this time when many needed comfort and tradition--not change and more questions.

You're right, many Catholics jumped ship in search of a religion with all the answers; easy prey for sects like the Watchtower. In time they realized the Witness security blanket was an empty promise. Many returned from whence they came after the 1975 failure. Perhaps they're the lucky ones, in that they had a place to land. I feel sorry for those who left still believing the Tower has "the Truth," but couldn't continue impersonating the happy little JW. Many of these remain stalled, and have a difficult time getting on with life while awaiting the rewards of Armageddon. How sad . . .

--JAVA, a cup without coffee is like a room without windows

Edited by - JAVA on 1 February 2001 15:43:53

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit