Rutherford's smear campaign (a must read)

by Leolaia 198 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

Leolala, you are a real assett to this forum. Thank you for all your research and the time you put into it.

• VM44
    VM44

The letter Moyle sent to Rutherford was private.

Why did Rutherford overreact the way he did?

Rutherford literally flipped out over the matter!

What sort of personality did Judge Rutherford have?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Vm44,

It appears that in these letters and WT articles that Rutherford is chasing his shadow projections which he projected onto Moyle. All the vile things he denies about himself he projects on to Moyle. That could account for the very aggitated feelings that provoked such a vicious attack on Moyle's person, useing every means at his disposal as president of the WT corporation.

Added to this we need to keep in mind that all this stuff Rutherford put in his Shadow is being projected out in his world view would no doubt lead to his becomming an alcoholic who went into rages when pocessed by shadow, but which he couldn't be very aware or had to be justified because of all the repression going inside himself.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Leo,

I think Moyle letter to Rutherford shown on the first page of this thread, hit Rutherford between the eyes and could of been turning point for him if he accepted the reproof Moyle was giving, but this is no easy matter and would require a painful exceptance of his negative personality and perhaps the whole house of cards which Rutherford built to colapse, it could have even put an end to his constant drinking and a renounciation of his teaching that the "prohibition" was a work of the Devil..

Rutherford was caught up in a delusion, which caused further shadow repressions. Moyle was showing Rutherford his shadowy parts, and it was way to painful for Rutherford to acknowledge. When someone shows us a part of ourselves that we are unwilling to acknowledge, the tendency is toward anger, resentment and projection of some parts of our shadow on them to justify the anger, which we see in the aftermath of Rutherfords reading of the letter and the most vile projection of Rutherfords own shadow on Moyle that followed.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I am reminded a lot of what the apostle Paul said when I read through this material.

Paul was conscious of how his conduct can affect others, and he was especially concerned if his conduct could become a stumbling block to his brothers. "Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble" (Romans 14:20), " Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak" (1 Corinthians 8:9), " If what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall" (v. 13), " 'I have the right to do anything', you say—but not everything is beneficial. 'I have the right to do anything'—but not everything is constructive. No one should seek their own good, but the good of others" (10:23-24), " So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved" (v. 31-33).

For example, one of the things that Moyle wrote about was the glorification of liquor. Now he was quite clear that he did not feel that drinking was wrong, but he described a climate of peer pressure and ridicule directed at those who did not take part (including Moyle who was a teetotaler). He referred to one man who was an alcoholic and had been abstaining and he knew that if he gave in to just one drink, he would slide back into alcohol abuse. He would be stumbled. But for Rutherford, calling attention to how one's conduct was stumbling others was tantamount to opposing God, and he would rather drive such people out of the congregation and let them stumble.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If any thing Rutherford was probably the biggest stumbler of people who came to know him personaly or had to work around him.

A guy who was driven around in lavishly expensive Cadillacs, having a inappropriate close relationship with his female assistant,

when he was separted from his wife, known to drink booze too much (even when illegal), took lavish cruises over seas (First Class). etc etc.

Unfortunately the majority of JWS knew hardly a thing about the man, outside of him giving public talks at assemblies.

The consuming body of JWS just saw him only has a person of great spiritual connection and biblical knowledge,

a man of wholesome Christain values and integrity. Ha ha ha

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Interesting bit with this scripture from 1 Cor:

I have the right to do anything'—but not everything is constructive. No one should seek their own good, but the good of others" (10:23-24)

That's the same concern for stumbling others that was quoted in the 1994 Awake article about toys that rely on "magical elements", where the JW is advised to consider the stumbling potential for any given toy as a conscience matter.

Given that Rutherford apparently wasn't terribly concerned with stumbling others (!), it makes you wonder if Sparlock the Wizard would be allowed under his rule, LOL.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What the 1939 WT article was trying to say by Rutherford's own words, is shut up and don't cause diversions within the organization I control and

have power over. The guy was quite the controlling arrogant power tripping opportunist wasn't he ? , obviously corrupted by his own perceived power

and self identifying personal stature. One can truly see the F&DSL in him though.

Well he was " The President " after all.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Then Moyle's son Peter, having returned to New York City and having had enough of the shunning, wrote a letter to Rutherford disapproving of his father:

PETER MOYLE

Q. You have been asked about a letter written to Mr. Rutherford. Do you recall when that letter was sent? A. It was sent after I came back to Brooklyn [actually Astoria in Queens, NYC] from Wisconsin. That was in the fall of [1939]...Q. You were a member of the Watch Tower classes for some time? A. Yes. Q. When did you first start going to the classes? A. Well, when I was very small at home in Wisconsin, when I was about ten, twelve. Q. And you kept your attendance up until the time your family moved to Brooklyn in 1935? A. Yes. Q. That is out in Wisconsin? A. Yes. Q. Then I assume you attended classes at Bethel during the period from 1935 to 1939? A. Yes. Q. Then you say you were at the classes in Astoria, is that right? A. Yes. Q. Is that the time when this letter was written? A. Yes. Q. Was there anyone who asked you to write that letter? How did it come about? A. I don't know — no one asked me to write it. Q. What was the attitude of the members of the class towards you in Astoria? A. They refused to speak to me or recognize me, and I felt that some explanation on my part was necessary to get back into the good graces of society. Q. And that led to the writing of the letter? A. Yes.... Q. You say in this letter that you disapproved of the letter of your father. Is that your same attitude now? A. No. The reason — (MR. COVINGTON: Wait a minute. The letter speaks for itself. THE COURT: He asked him his attitude now, and the answer is "No.")

Peter Moyle's letter was then published in the 15 December 1939 issue of the Watchtower:

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

And yet another of Jesus' prophecies is fulfilled!

Matt 10:35 For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law . 36 and A MAN’ S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD .

37 “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 “And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 “He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.

Now THERE'S the JW Biblical version of wholesome family values!

Are you feelin' the Xian LOVE?

The entire episode must've had an incredible chilling effect on all the members of the GB (as well as Bethelites), sending an unmistakeable message after witnessing the relentless crucifixion of Moyle. It would be interesting to know if there were any first-hand accounts left from the period, perhaps recorded after Rutherford died?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit