Did You Know A Lot Of Elders That Simply Weren't Too Bright?

by minimus 57 Replies latest jw friends

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Interesting question ...

I served in two congregations in the 20ish years I was an elder. In both I was the only one that had more than a high school education (I have a B.A. in Education which I attained ironically enough during the last few years I was an elder. The critical thinking skills I learned while getting a degree were part of what led me to leave). But this thread's question wasn't about education per se, it was about intelligence.

I believe many of the men I served with were intelligent, some highly so, but none were educated. They swallowed down the WT's party line hook-line-and-sinker and were company men all the way. So was I for most of my tenure.

Nevertheless there were two men I served with that had not even graduated high school. I often wondered if their limited intellectual ability was a result of their lack of education or if they couldn't finish high school because they just weren't smart enough. I could never really figure it out as it was a real chicken-or-the-egg sort of conundrum.

Nevertheless, they were two of the most genuinely kind, loving men I've ever known. They were also two of the most indoctrinated. Their limited education combined with their limited native intelligence often allowed them to arrive at quite ridiculous conclusions on matters. As a result, they too were company men through and through.

Even those with the most intellectual potential will never achieve all that they could as long as they remain faithful to the dictates of the WT "theology" and its associated rules, regulations, policies and practices. They are all designed to inhibit independent thought and creativity.

It is what it is and they have made it so.

00DAD

• minimus
    minimus

Oodad, well said.

• youngbro
    youngbro

You have no idea....Some make me wonder how they finished school.

• C.O.B.E.Beef
    C.O.B.E.Beef

+1 to what OODAD said.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

In all honesty, I cannot recall even one elder who would have fitted in the the "Thick as two Short Planks" category. Most I knew were either of average intelligence, or slightly above. One elder I knew had an IQ level shared by less than 5% of the population (at the high end, too - not the low!)

Rather, what all suffered from, to varying degrees, was a lack of formal education. Given the WTS's downer on education, that was almost inevitable.

Bill.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder
    Post 32 of 36
    Since 9/2/2012

Not a surprise ,most elders in most Kingdom Halls are below average IQ .

Reasons :

1. They are chosen on not how bright or how well versed are in the Bible but for how loyal they are to mother organisation
    2. 70% of the time they come from the same family i.e. if your dad is an elder you will find it twice as easy to become one compared to one who has no such affiliations
    3. Critical thinking left the building after '75 ,so you will find JW's are become more stupid every year
    4. GB is against higher education so things will get worse

EXACTLY my thoughts - I have met some extremely loyal but just cant think. They were never allowed on a JC

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My mother's cousin's husband Jim. They were definately scrapping the barrel when they made him an elder.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

'Simply Not Too Bright' .....that has to be a prerequisite I thought.....

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The trend is toward more stupidity among hounders. Saying that I should just meet men at a$$emblies to solve my problems with the opposite sex is just about the ultimate in stupidity, and several of the hounders took that stand on me. And yet, with that wretched level of so-called "intelligence", I am supposed to obey everything they wish? I am supposed to throw things away and get new items that comply with their standards? They can say that I am committing "brazen conduct" if I have a burgundy or navy blue bag instead of the dark gray one they want me to get, and if the gray one I order doesn't come by the next morning? Or if they give me until the next morning to come up with the proper item, and then expect me in field circus so I can't?

I have flashlights that are more intelligent than the hounders. And no, I am not referring to the brightness. I am referring to the circuitry controling them--even your Eveready Basic flashlight is more intelligent than the hounders.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

stooges Stooges, patsies, dupes, yes-men, sycophants, toadys.....

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit