Teenage son's last WT comment. Major sphincter puckering on my part.

by Open mind 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• Open mind
    Open mind

Hello. I thought maybe some of us might enjoy something light-hearted to start the week off.

At dinner last night my teenage son reminded me of the last KH meeting he attended with me about a year ago. He is a big fan of Christopher Hitchins and self-identifies as an atheist.

We hadn't been to a meeting in about 3 months. On the way to the meeting he was toying with the idea of offering a Watchtower comment that might "make someone think" and possibly "wake them up". I let him know that it was probably not a good idea. If it's subtle, it will be lost on the snoozing masses. It it's in-their-face radical, it will prompt an inquisition with at least a couple men in suits.

Anyway, he says something like: "I don't know Dad. I think I can come up with something." Well, the Argument from Authority stopped working on my son at least a couple years ago, so I just let the subject drop.

Midway into the WT study, my son raises his hand and, simultaneously, my blood pressure. The paragraph had something to do with science and/or evolution.

om's son: "Blah, blah, blah....when considering questions regarding the origin and variety of life it is VERY important that we use our CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS and always remain SKEPTICAL......(VERY LONG PAUSE)...."

I was glued to his every word. As soon as he said "critical thinking" I knew he was nearing the precipice. When he said "skeptical", I pictured he and I as a Kingdom Hall version of Thelma & Louise flying off the doctrinal cliff in our apostate convertible.

Thelma and Louise - final scene

Anyway, back to his comment..

"...always remain skeptical.........(VERY LONG PAUSE)......

of these scientists and their unproven theories."

He hands the mic back and turns to me with the biggest sh*t-eating grin you've ever seen.

I wanted to strangle him and give him a high-five all at once.

Good times.

Sure glad we don't bother with that stuff anymore though.

om

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Giving a nice truth bomb comment for those who wanna go w/ a bang would be funny. Keep going until they turn off the mic lol.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Thanks for the chuckle!!!!That's a smart(ass) and funny son you have, Good for him!!!! How's your pressure , now? LOL

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

clever kid, he has a bright future.

• breakfast of champions
  • LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Too awesome....made my day!

• Open mind
    Open mind

rip van winkle: "How's your pressure , now?"

MUCH, MUCH better, thank you!

om

• sizemik
    sizemik
    As soon as he said "critical thinking" I knew he was nearing the precipice. When he said "skeptical", I pictured he and I as a Kingdom Hall version of Thelma & Louise flying off the doctrinal cliff in our apostate convertible.

ROFLMAO! . . . that's hilarious.

I suspect there may have been one or two other sphincters twitching during that pause . . .

There's naughty-good and naughty-bad . . . . that's definitely naughty-good.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Unfortunately, I think you were right: his comment was far too subtle for uneducated JWs to grasp, since they don't even understand that in the scientific realm, a "theory" is not unproven; a "hypothesis" is. And they actually DO think of themselves as 'critical thinkers', as most people do.

As the old saying goes, sarcasm is lost on small children and dogs (who just stare at you, just the same, LOL!), so the only answer is to not hang around a bunch of macaroons who don't know and don't care about facts.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Your son is my new hero!

00DAD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit