What - if any - Religon are you now practicing?

by lydia 38 Replies latest jw friends

• SYN
    SYN

Maybe I should start my own religion. Then the WTBTS would really love me!

"...the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing" - The Golden Age
    [SYN], UADA
    - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa.

• Amazing
    Amazing

No 'organized' religious affiliation. I am mostly a Christian, belief in salvation by grace and faith in Jesus alone. But I have leaning agnostic, not out of disrespect for God, but because I cannot accept all of his behavior. I cannot, for example, accept his demand that Israel not Murder (one of the Ten Commandments), yet order Israel to kill off other tribes, including women, children, and even babies. That is very confusing, and all the argumnents in God's favor to date seem rather pathetic.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

SYN; 'World Mind'? You've been reading up on obscure French Theologians, or reading Julian May novels, haven't you.

Very interesting concept.

• new boy
    new boy

WHY TRADE ONE DOGMA FOR ANOTHER? THE BOOK THAT CHANGED MY LIFE IS "FREINDSHIP WITH GOD" BY WALSH---------EVERY QUESTION ABOUT GOD, AND THE NATURE OF OUR WORLD NOW, AND THE ONE THAT IS COMING IS ANSWERED!

• Mulan
    Mulan

Undecided said this (in part): <<I just try to live a life so as not to hurt others and when I can, I help others. I have no religion as such. I don't know what else to do as I have seen no religion that makes any sense to me. Organized religion is a great waste of money in my view. I don't condemn someone who wants to belong to a church, as long as they don't become some prophet or special agent from God to change the world to their view and way of life and perhaps kill other people to please their God.>>>

I have to agree with all of that. If I were to be in another group, I would lean towards Buddhism, but it "ain't gonna happen". I shudder at the thought of having to go anywhere to worship. Ugh!!

Pandora put it nicely, too: <<<When I first discovered the TRUTH about the 'truth', I believed there was a god, but wanted no part of organized religion.>>>

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• Sargon
    Sargon

I found that I dont need to beleive in a god. I get by with having a healthy respect for the earth and my environment, with respect for my fellow humans (provided that they treat me with respect).
    I quit worrying about bullshit unanswerable questions that don't affect how I live my life, years ago.

Imagination is more important than Knowledge. Albert Einstein

• SUSCARRA
    SUSCARRA

I don't go to any religous organization, however, the Preterist point of view make me feel complete.If you want to know info about Preterism, just use your computer. It makes sence to me and I certainly have no guilt.

As far as attending a church, My hubby has supposedly started his own church awhile back and has supposedly led hundreds of JWs in our area away from the KH 'truths'. My hubby doesn't attend, my children don't attend, and I sure as heck don't attend, as a matter of fact, we don't even know where it is located. I guess my hubby should have attended the JC meeting they had for him in Dec. and maybe they would have kindly told him where it was located and just who does go there.
    They are so funny and stupid.

SUSCARRA

• RationalWitness
    RationalWitness

Lydia,

I am now "practicing" Christianity, and hope to eventually get it right. It's tough because 95% of what people commonly call "Christianity" is actually medieval in origin and has less to do with Christ than with the myth of redemptive violence (aka mimetic violence) that has driven many people away from Christ.

Cheers,
    Rational

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I'm a practicing born again Spankologist now.

Slipnslidemaster: "Easter so longed for is gone in a day."
    - James Howell

• Introspection
    Introspection

JT said:

As I told the guys here at work, just think the "God" of the Jews, christians, Musliums, Hindus and buddist,etc. watched as over 500,000
    You know it's funny, I think it's been mentioned several times here, maybe just by JanH and myself but Buddhism has nothing to say about God, so how is it you include Buddhism in that statement? Granted some Mahayana Buddhists lean in that direction, but it is frankly against what the Buddha stated as his main teaching. When asked if he was God/a god he said no, and simply claimed that he was awake. What he talked about was suffering and how to end suffering.

Mulan said:

I have to agree with all of that. If I were to be in another group, I would lean towards Buddhism, but it "ain't gonna happen". I shudder at the thought of having to go anywhere to worship. Ugh!!
    Well first of all, considering the previous point above there is atleast not an object to worship, but again I have to say that even the connotation of the word is not what Buddhism is about. Secondly, you really don't have to go anywhere. (besides, you go to a yoga class don't you? It's like going to a meditation class) Practice for householders is very different from the monastics, so in a way it's pretty easy. Now I don't want to hijack this thread, but suffice it to say that if we only look at the external appearances and oversimplify and generalize you'll end up with a distorted view. If anyone really wants to discuss this we can start another thread, I suspect we have atleast a few members on this board who are knowledgeable about this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit