I Want Proof Jesus Even Existed

by Farkel 199 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sab was that post intended to be a response to my post? I don't follow most of it but among other things you say:

What happens if little Timmy wants to take the evidenced argument that "a man who claimed to be the Son of God existed in 1st century and did awesome things" and expound upon it?

Many scholars who believe in a historical Jesus do not believe that he claimed to be the Son of God. Is that Ehrman's view? I doubt it. Ehrman has argued that Jesus was an apocalyptic prophet. The idea that he as the Son of God came later.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Many scholars who believe in a historical Jesus do not believe that he claimed to be the Son of God. Is that Ehrman's view? I doubt it. Ehrman has argued that Jesus was an apocalyptic prophet. The idea that he as the Son of God came later.

The Hebrew Bible asserts that all humans are sons of God. The king of those sons would be the official Son of God and the Jewish Messiah. Christianity asserts that a man in the 1st century fulfilled that role. Even Judaism regards Jesus as an extremely important prophet and a heckofa Jew. One thing is clear, this mysterious "man" not only split Judaism in two, but he made such a ruckus that Isalm started because of the fighting between the Christians and the Jews OVER the idea of him. They concluded that there could not be two gods, so instead of taking a side they created their own. To say that no man existed who claimed to be the King of the Jews is pretty far fetched.

However the Gospels ARE anti-semitic propaganda. It's pro-Roman and anti-Jew, that's because the Romans created "official Christianity" and attached it to their State. Which was probably the biggest sin against the Son of God to date. To turn his message into legalism is pure heresy. Think about finding Watchtower documents two thousands years from now after the collapse and rebuilding of society at large. We might not see the agenda at first, but eventually we would and we'd be left with the question as to what all the ruckus was about. If no man existed who at least attempted to fulfil Jewish propehcy then we have a bigger problem than anyone thinks. Because society is largely based off it.

-Sab

• King Solomon
    King Solomon
    I don't have the proof you want; no one does. My evidence is based on faith and it's evident from all you said in your post that you are without faith. It must be sad being you, too.

"I always wonder why so many people feel so smug about believing the unbelievable on the basis of no evidence at all."

Yup. And he's not just smug, but condescending as well, with the "It must be sad being you" bit.

You know what makes me sad? Being unable to perform due diligence, and being unable to question any claim that sets off my BS detector, only to be fleeced by a scam like someone who's just fallen off the turnip truck. Being required to suspend my critical-thinking skills just to enter a world of "once upon a time" fairy tale thinking: THAT'S what makes ME sad.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Even though I still hold a belief in Jesus

I must admit, I do get somewhat weak waitin' on a miracle / blessin'

at times

Case in point ( true story )

Neighbor : Wuz, can you take me to pick up my avon, So and So can't make deliveries today

Wuz: OK

Neighbor: " Gawd 'ill bless ya"

Next day

Neighbor: Wuz, can you carry me here there and everywhere

Wuz: OK

Neighbor: " Gawd 'ill bless ya"

Next week

Nieghbor: Wuz, can you run me to the store

Wuz: I would, but I'm waitin' on God to bless me wit some gasoline

Neighbor: I'll pay you a little somethin' ( Wuz get paid )

Wuz: God is good ain't he !!!!!!!

Nieghbor: ( says nothin', not even an Amen , Her blessin' ran out when God didn't pay up and she had too )

One thing I can prove, and that is my Nieghbor was pissed off at both me and God that day

• elderelite
    elderelite

LOL!!! now thats funny

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear sabastious...

you said: "One thing is clear, this mysterious "man" not only split Judaism in two, but he made such a ruckus that Isalm started because of the fighting between the Christians and the Jews OVER the idea of him. They concluded that there could not be two gods, so instead of taking a side they created their own."

...that statement was completely OUT TO LUNCH

love michelle

• still thinking
    still thinking

Ehrman did such a poor job of defending the historical Jesus that it really makes me wonder if there is a solid basis at all....slimboyfat

Cool, you've read it.

What evidence did he use to prove that there was a historical Jesus? Was there something other than the bible?

I don't really give a damn if there was a real person or not, makes no difference to what I don't believe. But I am curious to know if they at least based some of the bible on a real living person who claimed to be the messiah, or if it was completely made up.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I have to agree with Michelle on this one. The notion that Islam was a response to the fighting of Jews and Chrisitians is waayyyy out there.

• elderelite
    elderelite

lol.... omt.... common NC.... If capitian Picard is real then im sure jesus is too

• still thinking
    still thinking

transhuman....so that was still written some time after Jesus death? Not during his life?

Could it still be just referring to what christians had been teaching? Not first hand information?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit