hello

by Latte 31 Replies latest social entertainment

• Seven
    Seven

Latte, A belated welcome. The nick 7of9-I was assimilated(sp?)by force unlike my parents. Severed from the collective I've regained nearly all of my human characteristics. Some implants could not be removed-that's forever, like it or not. It's good to have you here.

Seven

• Seven
    Seven

Larc, Was that a Fats Domino song? I can hear it playing in my head but somehow it doesn't sound like him. My turn now, where did these lyrics come from: "...me catch the ship for cross the sea. Me sail the ship all alone." Great song. Any clue?

Seven

• larc
    larc

Seven!

How are you any way! My mind is a little buzy, cause I spent heavey duty time doing a serious thread under the Books subject, and I hoped that you could answer my question, but I think the name of my group is the Cadillacs. You'll have to look it up in your Funk and Wagnells for verification. Now, I don't know all the music trivia, but do you know this one: The Grand Funk Railroad. Where did they get their name and where are they from? If you don't know, don't be worried because I just know little bits here and there, and I am sure that you know a whole lot more about this music scene than I do. However, I am glad that my previous question brought you out of retirement!

• larc
    larc

Seven,

I forgot to mention. Those lyrics you wrote, I no clue. I feel dumber than cat poop.

• Seven
    Seven

larc!! Don't feel dumb! Those are the lyrics to the song that no one can understand. Remember pledge night at the Delta house? Louie Louie or Louie Loueye after a pitcher of Bloodies. Written by Richard Berry in 1956.
    Louie Louie
    Fine little girl she waits for me
    Me catch the ship for cross the sea
    Me sail the ship all alone
    Me never think me make it home
    Louie, Louie, me gotta go
    Three nights and days me sail the sea
    Me think of girl constantly
    On the ship I dream she there
    I smell the rose in her hair
    Me see Jamaica moon above
    It won't be long, me see my love
    I take her in my arms and then
    Me tell her I never leave again
    Louie, Louie, me gotta go.

Seven

• amicus
    amicus

Thanks, now I can stop stopping,tilting my head to the side, and thinking....Me-catch-da-ship-for-cross-da-sea....????? Me-sail-da-ship-all-alone?!?!? I had the tune right for the first line but kept trying to fit the second into Sloop John B.,I probably wouldn't have ever gotten it.
    Richard Berry must have been Jamaican? It's not really patois, but it is Jamaican slang (or maybe Carribean slang?).

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Seven,

College gradulation joke card couple of years ago:

A. Why doesn't the band play Louie, Louie at a college graduation?

B. Because the grads will sing along with the right words.

waiting

• Seven
    Seven

Waiting, LOL!! Yup, knew all the words.

larc, GFR took their name after a Michigan landmark-The Grand Trunk Western Railroad.

Amicus, Thanks!! Now I can't get the words to Sloop John B out of my head. LOL "...my grandfather and me...I feel so broke up, I wanna go home."

seven

• larc
    larc

Yes! Seven's right again!

They are from the Flint area and live near Traverse City now. In Flint, there is a railroad bridge over a highway, where someone painted an F over the TR to make it read Grand Funk. It has been that way for many years and no one has pampered with.

I saw on TV that the FBI spent over a year, and over a million dollars with sophisiticated electronic equipement to try to determine if Louie Louie had sinister words in it. They never could. (Our tax dollars at work.) They could have simply asked the musicians who sang it. As I recall, it was a simple ballad from some other country, but I can't remember the details now.

• Latte
    Latte

Thanks everyone!

Your names make interesting reading.

I have to admit, that I was definitly inspired by JAVA. What better way to spend the day at a coffe shop (Or wine bar I might add!)

Thanks JAVA!

Latte

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit