"Normal family affections and dealings" continue - If only?!?

by LHS123 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

LHS123,

Welcome!

Keep reading here.

What you are seeing about the organization now is just the tip of the iceberg.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

One of the issues I have been looking at is shunning - and I was shocked to see the misleading information about shunning on the Jw.org website:

.................https://hookedoninspiration.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/pathological-liar.png?w=700

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I am trying to be ‘fair’ by reading both sides of the story.....

Most of us have been there, so we fully understand. We also expect that once you start to see matters for what they are, there really is no turning back, so we expect you to figure that out on your own. Bravo.

This is one area where they mislead. What gets me in some of those areas is that they can do it right out in the open. Any JW knows that isn't really the truth, that adults outside of the family home will tend to support the shunning. Despite any JW knowing that, they read or hear what Watchtower says and they go "YES!" So they have learned to sort of lie to themselves because they figure it will never happen to them anyway.

If you want more examples, what they say today about 1914 vs. what they said back then was already mentioned. There was "Millions now living will never die." What happened to that? Read up on all they had to say in print about 1975 and what they said afterward. Also consider what they say about all the "field service" being voluntary, and then try to actually just stop turning in time. There's also how they try to say "We are the only ones who...." If you research each point, you will find others who do or think the same way. Mormons do a preaching work, others consider themselves pacifists (or neutral), there are plenty of Biblically moral groups.

• kewpie
    kewpie
    I too, have never been disfellowshipped but have been shunned.

I came across this interesting website: shunnedforlife.com
  • LHS123
    LHS123

Thanks for the replies, every day brings new Revelations.

Just reading ,' misquotes, deceptions and lies' on jw facts , no wonder they don't want us to read this stuff!

it is painful, but in other ways good, not lying to myself feels good and I find I'm looking at the world and the people in it in a much more positive light , had some lovely conversations with 'worldly' neighbors today, without thinking in the back of my mind, 'don't get too friendly' or acting closed off. 😊

• ducatijoe
    ducatijoe

LHS123

Keep an open mind. When I was in I would never listen to any one who had a different view.

Now I know why.

I deeply regret a conversation I once had with my brother who left.

I shunned him for 14 years. Once I came to senses I spent a year trying to find him to apologize.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

LHS, totally! As someone else said about Ray franz, he felt he was rejoining the human race.

I started actually TALKING to people, without reservation. Shoot even witnesses don't talk to eachother without reservation...scared to offer opinions, scared to reveal something about themselves that shows you don't agree with the society 100% on EVERYTHING, No surprise it becomes a lot easier to make real friends when you leave. The only challenge is not looking like a total weirdo when you want to talk to everyone about this cult religion you were raised in and left... I've learned to tone it back, but just did it again last night, eek! Not totally out of that phase yet apparently...

• LHS123
    LHS123

Thanks Faye Dunaway, you are so right!. I realize that every time I've talked to someone in the past I have several thought processes interfering with the act of being genuine and interested and friendly:

1. Should I try to preach to this person, I should really, how am I going to bring it up without sounding like a nutjob....I'll feel guilty later because I didn't , maybe I should try next time....

2. This person is really nice, I like him/her but I shouldn't get too close because they are in the world, if we get on well, they'll invite me somewhere and then I'll have to say no and feel bad about it. If it's their birthday it will be awkward. Better act cold and distant so this friendship doesn't develop.

With witnesses:

1. He/She's probably wondering why I wasn't out in service / at the meeting last week, there not really interested in me just trying to find out what's going on.

2 I better hadn't mention (what I did, who I've seen, how I feel, what my family members did etc............) That might not go down too well, they might think bad about me or they might tell some elder etc.

what have these people done to my brain!!!!!!

• steve2
    steve2

For an organization that teaches it alone is the channel of God's truth, it sure lies a lot.

If it really has the truth, it shouldn't need to lie. Lies do not protect the truth. Lies protect lies and nothing more.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I agree the information on jw.org about shunning is a load of nonsense. That is what woke me up too. I called Bethel about it. It says they welcome repentant ones back into the congregation. I was repentant and wrote five letters to be reinstated and got refused every time, when I spoke to the brother at Bethel about this he put the phone down on me. Fighting for your rights is showing an independent spirit which means you're not worthy to come back.

The information and experience totally woke me up and my kids.

Living in isolation has been challenging though. I have a job, and go to netball, and am dating. But I have no true close friendships, these things take time, if they ever happen at all.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit