"Normal family affections and dealings" continue - If only?!?

by LHS123 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    Good thread LHS123. Not enough can be said about this God dis-honoring WT teaching of disfellowshipping and shunning. And not enough can be said about how deceitful WT's jw.org propaganda machine is.
  • Marvin Shilmer
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

"...I am not shunning you... I just won't do anything with you socially, I wont follow you on social media, etc ... we just wont do anything together again..."

Dude... that's shunning.

• steve2
    steve2

Although I acknowledge it is rare, I have been on the receiving end of JWs in good standing telling me to, "F*ck off" when I had the temerity to approach and greet them in the late 1980s.

On the two occasions this happened, the JW I approached was alone so there was literally no witness to their use of offensive language. One those two occasions, it was a different Witness, one an elder, the other an (unrelated) pioneering sister who was known even among local Witnesses as being prone to take the moral high ground even with brothers and sisters in good standing. I guess there must be degrees of righteousness in Jay-dubland.

I had not pushed the issue of approaching them and had not lingered after greeting them. The experiences upset me greatly mainly because I experienced firsthand the severe loveless undercoat worn by some Witnesses whose true personality relishes the freedom shunning encourages.

• clarity
    clarity

A serious subject with a few laughs :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCK1C5qW9sc

• dozy
    dozy
    It's a deliberately misleading quote from the Society because it refers only to people living in the same household. In reality , DFd people are shunned completely. JWs in my town cross the street to avoid a young guy who was DFd here for smoking a few years ago. Even if you just stop attending & don't get DFd then it is pretty much the same. I'm faded ( not DFd ) and I was advised by most of my JW relatives that they would have nothing more to do with me unless it was an emergency.
  • New day
    New day
    My sister faded years ago and I treat her exactly the same as I ever did (I am still an active Witness) , and her two Witness closest friends keep in close contact with her (they knew each other from childhood before becoming Witnesses). So some people follow their own conscience and do not just blindly follow all the very heavy hints dropped by the org.
  • steve2
    steve2
    New Day, you are absolutely right in your observations. One of the problems the GB faces is the (growing?) number of even active Witnesses who follow their own consciences in regard to shunning or not shunning. They obviously don't flaunt it but it is refreshing to see it. This may be why the GB hammers the topic so much - the GB realizes the part conscience plays with these Witnesses who are not prone to being manipulated by FOG (fear, obligation and guilt). As time passes, this group will grow - of that much I am confident.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit