Defeating The Watchtower - What Does This Mean?

by hillary_step 25 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

I agree with Blues Brother. When you think about it...the WTS was on the fade in the 60s. It already had its share of false prophecies. Then it got a real boost with the '75 garbage. The WTS is back to the fade now. Just wait it out.

ISP

• Pureheart
    Pureheart

I am in full agreement with this satement by Sam Beli.

"Hillary, I think the over-all problem was well stated some time ago by Alan F. The central doctrine of JWs is that “the GB speaks for God.”
    Real defeat, it seems to me, will come when the halos of the GB are markedly tarnished; when the R & F JW realizes that the GB does not speak for God. Getting to this point is very difficult.

Everything else will fall into place once that fact is realized by a significant number of JWs."

Also with ISP. "Wait it out".

It will most diffinetly be exposed!

Pureheart

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Oh yes! Great posts, great thoughts. Thanks everybody for sharing.

I can relate to ALL the comments here but especially these:

The central doctrine of JWs is that “the GB speaks for God.”(Sam Beli)
    If you take away all the things that are wrong with the org what do you have left? Not a lot. I would like members to know the truth about the org.(Sleepy)
    My objections to JW’s centres upon what they DO, and I will continue to work hard with any JW, to show them that their BEHAVIOUR is very wrong.(Eman)
    Couldn't have put it better myself!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• greven
    greven

defeat? a smoking hole in the ground that is!!!!

"Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground."
    -from "Small Gods" by Terry Pratchett-

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Hi HS,

I don't think of "defeating" anyone or any organization. I think of winning them over to a more balanced way of life. Extreme beliefs and actions can be dilaterious to ones health. Sometimes, extreme action is needed and a balanced person will know when that is and when that is not the appropriate action.

I think that many JW's just do not think for themselves and are counting of the organization to lead them to their salvation. So I agree with many of the comments here especially Sam's/Alan's about the the position of the the GB/Organization in the mind of the believer. I also agree with Lee and E-man and others about educating JW's about their own behavior. I believe that many who have realized that their own behavior was foolish and uncaring were moved to question the behavior of their beloved organization.

If there is a "defeat" it is being able to free the mind of the individual from the control of the cult. I personally don't think the cult itself will suffer any great defeat by any type of frontal assault tactics. But the cult will eventually suffer, at least to some degree, if many members learn to think for themselves and make their own choices in life. The cult itself may morph into something other than what it is now in order to survive. I hope that at least some people will be able to see the mental illness asscoiated with the cult and go to work healing the wounds, in themselves and others. I guess it's a grass-roots kind of thing rather than an outright war or frontal attack.

Sean

• waiting
    waiting

Agreed, Seaken,

And all the others too Make them Episcopalian act-alikes. Can't you just visualize jw's eyes going wide with horror? LOL!

Actually - make them go mainstream. Which means leaving the shunning, da'ing, df'ing, refusal of blood, refusal of voting, etc. Which actually means leaving behind the fears and negative reinforcements. Which most likely means that people might actually leave in droves.

I think these practices will stop (at least to public view) in first world countries, then in third world countries, where they can keep people in line for another generation or so.

I would suspect other religions do the same. Change only where forced.

If you want to make a lot of money, start a religion. L. Ron Hubbard (Scientology Founder) paraphrased

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit