Experience with Former Elder regarding contributions at Conventions

by Momma-Tossed-Me 28 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

When the assembly hall needs renovations the monies don't come out of assembly revenues. They make a special announcement and beg for money

for renovations and more free labour.

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

Unbelieveable....

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

This is the first I've heard of this. I'm shocked.

So what about all the new assembly halls that are being built, you know the ones where the local JWs are suppose to raise their own funds to pay for the expenses of building the hall, are you telling me that when the assemblies start being held that the "costs in association with this assembly" will not be just the utilities and maintenance (since the hall is supposed to be paid off), but a huge part would be essentially a donation to the branch?

Does anyone have proof of this claim? I'd love to see it (rather than just hersay).

• hoser
    hoser

Does anyone have proof of this claim? I'd love to see it (rather than just hersay).

I don't yet but I am working on it

this is the loving arrangement from headquarters. You as a circuit are responsible to supply the needed funds and labour to build an assembly hall and then you can rent it from us!

• elderelite
    elderelite

Proof is difficult. The way this works is the local elders are called into a "buissness Meeting" where these things are presented to all the local elders. No written documentation is given to us, its all verbal. Only the assembly overseer has something written...

• out4good3
    out4good3

No written documentation is given to us, its all verbal. Only the assembly overseer has something written...

And I'm sure none of them are about to talk as everything they get is paid for by mother organization!!!!!

• elderelite
    elderelite

The assembly overseer is just an elder from the local cuircit who is appoimtedto oversee arrangments for the covention and essentially be the front man for the circuit. He may not have anything in writing... It may come from the DO... But i asked and heard with my own ears the explanation

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

EE - R U posting on a cell phone.....or are you drunk?

Or perhaps both?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Our elders did the standard verbal vote at that business meeting where half of the excess would go to the assembly hall and/or circiut and half would go to Watchtower. After that was voted, it would be part of the expenses and the announcement could include a deficit when "operating costs" were added in. The audience would not be told anything about where the elders voted to send the money.

One circiut assembly, one elder tells us of some huge problem in his homeland with "the brothers" and how we always have the option to do something else with the funds. "The brothers" in his homeland needed just 7 or 8 thousand dollars, so we voted to send it there.

The accounts overseer got some kind of tongue-lashing over allowing the elders to do that and the next time we met, we learner that the money did indeed go to where we voted, but that Watchtower would decide in the future how much to help others in other lands and no further discussions were ever allowed about alternative places to send money.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

''This is the first I've heard of this. I'm shocked''.

exactly why threads on stuff considered long ago should be welcomed.

Not all newbies go to search you know...often they might be so blown away like i was 2 years ago that you just dont know what to look for.

so, good thread Momma...

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit