These rent-a-refs have got to go!

by Theocratic Sedition 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

The NFL needs to fix this now. These games are longer and the calls are horrible! Even when they get the call right, they screw up the administration of the penalty. How come my 7 year old knows the rules better than some of the replacement refs? This is why the players, coaches and fans are disrespecting them so much. Kyle Shanahan (Skins OC)got flagged at the end of the Skins/Bengals game for cursing out a ref. But, the ref deserved it. Meanwhile, the entire Bengal team was on the field without any flag. During the Ravens/Pats game, the entire Baltimore stadium had a chant going for almost 5 minutes directed at the refs (Bulls**t, Bulls**t).

The NFL makes billions of dollars each year and is screwing up their product to save a few dollars a game. Do the regular refs make a bunch of money? Yes. But it's a supply and demand deal. Obviously folks who can handle the pressure and have the experience necessary to ref an NFL game are in pretty short supply.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    I agree (and mind you I live in Seattle and I'm a big Seahawks fan).

Imagine how we're feeling in Wisconsin.

This was a total embarassment to the NFL. It was a horribly officiated game even before the final play. The roughing the passer penalty on Erik Walden that wiped out an interception that would probably have clinched the game was ridiculous. Don't get me started on the "pass interference" call on Sam Shields. The receiver was climbing on his back. How do you call that on the defender?

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

To be honest, though, I think the main refs are kind of turds. They already make, on average, 150k a season when they only work a few days a week for four months. And they want more? Sounds reasonable. Throw in a golden pony, too!

They are paid well to keep the game honest and screw-up free. The person who makes 150K to perform a duty is not "wealthy". The employer of a person who can pay 150K to keep his little ball game running smoothly is wealthy.

I think the results of last nite's game speak volumes about the worth of the regular referees.

• james_woods
    james_woods

They are paid well to keep the game honest and screw-up free. The person who makes 150K to perform a duty is not "wealthy". The employer of a person who can pay 150K to keep his little ball game running smoothly is wealthy.

I think the results of last nite's game speak volumes about the worth of the regular referees.

$150K a year is very little money considering the responsibility these people have.

The greed here is with the NFL, not the officials.

BTW - that officials hat which nearly tripped a Dallas receiver in the end zone on Sunday could very well have changed the course of that game as well.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

These Refs make the 2010 World Cup Refs look good.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Maybe the players need to refuse to play until the ref'ing issue is settled.

• metaspy
    metaspy

It is getting rediculous.

The end result of giving into the refs for the NFL is being out very little money - giving refs benefits, and making them year round employees.

The end result of not doing so is having calls so bad I don't want to watch football.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Well what really chapps my ass is that is the refs had a defined benefit plan for years and the NFL is trying to take it away. Thats wrong, IMHO. I can totally accept changing the benefits offered to new refs as they are hired....

Another issue that isnt being given publicity is that yes want to add another ref to the game. The union dosent object to that. But what the NFL wants to do is pay the crews the same money per game. So in effect, split the money 5 ways instead of 4. The refs position is, if the NFL wants another on the field offcial, pay the extra official in additon, not take a fourth of their pay to compensate. Again, seems reasonable to me.

Roumor is, Goodell is the driving force. Tagliabo wouldnt have let this go on.....

• Sulla
    Sulla

Pay Ed Hochuli. Just pay the man. It's pretty obvious that his skill set isn't easy to find, right? Pay the man.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

All I can say is... if that sub-ref hasn't been fired already... if he ever steps foot onto another football field, he had better wear a different number on his stripey shirt. Otherwise, he may be lynched on the goalposts.

...and if anyone else wears that number... lord help 'em.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit