Elders sued in Oz

by ozziepost 21 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Whispered on the grapevine in Oz is that a former elder has sued a body of elders for wrongful DF and won! The plaintiff claimed harrassment and physical abuse by the elders. Apparently the court awarded costs amounting to around $30,000 Australian to the plaintiff. This occurred in January in one of the eastern states. The WTS have refused to support them and the local congregation have been involved in fund-raising to help meet the costs.

Since further litigation is envisaged, details are not publicly available but we've asked for permission!

Elders becoming personally liable opens up a whole new ball-game doesn't it?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• outnfree
    outnfree

Now, WHY do I have a gleeful grin on my face???

Can this be true, Ozzie? Will elders all over now begin to realize that the WTS will hang their 'princes' out to dry if it means saving the Society's $$?

outnfree

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

outnfree,

This case has been running for some time and I have been familiar with the progress of the case and directions. Like I say, its only possible to post a 'broad' whisper at present. But certainly the WTS have distanced themselves from the elders.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

• Will Power
    Will Power

FINALLY

Someone being held responsible for their actions. It has to start somewhere.

Notice that the ENRON corporation won't be on trial, it will be actual employees!

The Nazi Party was not tried at Nuremburg, it was the officers!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    ...The WTS have refused to support them and the local congregation have been involved in fund-raising to help meet the costs. ...

The WTS has refused to support them? I auppose that's because of the recent legal changes, is that correct? Yet the WTS still owns the property (the KH) that these 'brothers" paid for, right? What a great gig the guys in Brooklyn have going for them! Better than "miracle wheat". The WTS gets to write the rules, but when things backfire, it's the local boys who go off to jail or have judgements levied against them. SWEET!

I'm curious - does the person who was wrongfully disfellowshipped want his placce in the congregation restored to him?

- Nathan Natas, UADNA
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America)

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Oz,

That's great news

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • Francois
    Francois

I wonder how many people are racing to their nearest attorney right now?

Elders becoming personally liable opens up a whole new ball-game doesn't it? New ball game? This is going to be more fun to watch than, than, than...well, I can't think of anything. But it's going to be fun, I can tell you that.

You wait until some elder in the US (or Oz) or anywhere else gets hit with, say, $25,000 actual damages and a couple of mil for pain and suffering, public humiliation, and god knows what all else. Elders will scatter like fleas. And of course, it's going to be up to us here on the internet to publicize it. You don't think the GB is going to do it, do you? Hell no. They'd loose their local henchmen.

Oh, joy. This is going to be BIG. Really Big. Bigger than priceline.

Francois

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

• LB
    LB

I can assure you, that if after 3 years of not attending meetings or associating with witnesses, if my local elders decide to DF me, that I will certainly drag their asses into court. I have the time and money to make this my new hobby.

Let's see if they can afford the headaches.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• belbab
    belbab

AWH SHUCKS, LB

You're scaring them away!

belbab

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

D wiltshire,

Great news I'd say!

A point of clarification: The case centered around harrassment by the elders. The costs were legal costs only (of the plaintiff).

I must say that it took the types of men involved to bring it off... absolutely tenacious. Not at all mild mannered like some of us!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit