Churches...would a JW go

by KistByQpid 13 Replies latest jw friends

• KistByQpid
    KistByQpid

Under what (if any) circumstances would a JW go to a church? Is it the building itself or is it church services they have an aversion to? Can they go under circumstances that are not neccessarily considered "worship"? I can think of weddings, funerals and in Portland, several of the larger churches are used by private colleges (Concordia, George Fox, Warner Pacific) for graduations? Or would they likely decline all invitations on the basis that because it is being held in a "church" they simply can not be part of it? Is it all painted with the big Babylon-brush and a big no-no?

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hi KistByQpid

I can't speak for anyone else...but it was a big NO NO when I was associating..no matter what the occassion. I once went to a worldly wedding where the service was held in a church...my ex (an elder) waited outside the church...his conscience wouldn't allow him to come inside the church. I never had any qualms about it...but then I was a rebel after all. I did feel relatively safe however, as the wedding was not in my area...it was in another town...so I felt comfortable knowing that no one would see me. I hated that sneaking around feeling...just so I could attend a school friends wedding. Its not like I was going to a satanic ritual or anything like that.

The other thing about worldly weddings that got awkward was the 'toasting'. While everyone was toasting the groom and bride...we would sit there in our seats pretending that no one was noticing. How 'conspicious' can you get?? Yet we played dumb (dumb is right) and would make out it was an oversight on our part. This used to get to my ex's conscience also...hence we only went to ONE worldly wedding. We declined any invitations after that...but then again...the invitations ceased to come our way...wonder why!

Beck

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Hi Kist. That I remember, the reasons given were that you cannot partake of God's table and Satans table. Since all other religions are Satan inspired to a JW, then any other service would be partaking of Satans table.

Since fleeing the dubs, I just down't feel like going to any service, regardless of religion. I have come to believe that all religion is man made and that we can serve God individually, without a clergy or a governing body.

I just an't believe that God can make allowances for so many things, as explained by JWs not being able to follow each iundicidual scripture, yet to be such a tight ass about specifics such as, What building you enter, where you say a prayer, etc.

What I find most ironic, is the JWs will honor a wedding performed by a member of the clergy, but will go out of their way to discourage you from attending your own daughters wedding. But, I have never accused them of being shy with their hypocrisy.

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Just last week a woman (JW) from the KH I used to attend would not attend her sons wedding at a Nondenominational church.

On the other hand, when my grandmother was alive, she attended the Methodist church on a few occasions to see her grandson, my cousin, get married as well as see my brothers kids sing. My grandmother was a JW for over 50 years.

I know of a janitorial service ran by two JW elders that were offered a large church to clean in my city as one of their full time accounts. They would not have anything to do with cleaning another church. In the meantime that same church had carpet replaced in the pastors office as well as a few rooms in the youth group area by two JWs. One is an elder.

I guess it depends on the JW.

Scorpion

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I am posting this without reading any of the post's thus put forth. I do know that in one congregation that I was in that you could not, without any debate, even visit a church for a "garage sale". What I have found out is that the best deals come from this sort of "sale" but it was frowned upon because it was held in a church. Give me a break!

• professor
    professor

The Webster definition of church is as follows:

Pronunciation: 'ch&rch
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English chirche, from Old English cirice, ultimately from Late Greek kyriakon, from Greek, neuter of kyriakos of the lord, from kyrios lord, master; akin to Sanskrit sura hero, warrior
    Date: before 12th century
    1 : a building for public and especially Christian worship
    2 : the clergy or officialdom of a religious body
    3 : a body or organization of religious believers: as a : the whole body of Christians b : DENOMINATION c : CONGREGATION
    4 : a public divine worship <goes to church every Sunday>
    5 : the clerical profession <considered the church as a possible career>

Of course your local Kingdom Hall by the Society's definition fits this word. But JW's have always tried to make deliberate distinctions from all other religions which they label as "Christendom", so the word church is not used. In fact, attending a church is a disfellowshipping offense (see the elders' manual).

Unfortunately, the JW's fit into the same category as so many other religions who have added to the tragedy of humankind. Why did September 11 happen? Because some folks thought their religious beliefs were superior. Similarly, many Witnesses and X-Witnesses find their lives torn apart because of the arrogance and snob complex of the WTS.

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

I always had a problem with the "Not allowed in Churches" policy. When I was in school I invited friends on several occasions to meetings at the KH and was in turn invited to their sermons... I always felt hypocritical and embarresed when I had to decline... Saying, we want you to see what we are all about, but do not want to see what you are all about. How rude!

Britty

"My body is a Temple NOT an Amusement Park"

• Francois
    Francois

I used to go to the Episcopal services with my ex-JW girlfriend. But mainly it was for the communion wine. Wow! They don't stint on that. That communion wine they use is wonderful and I don't have any idea what it is, but it has a kick like Thunderbird or Mad Dog 20-20.

Francois

My body is mainly a temple, but sometimes it's an amusement park too.

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

my ex (still a JW) got permission to walk both his daughters down the aisle -- in 2 Catholic Churches. Siad it was "just making a delivery" not participating in a religious ceremony.

Go figure

Rejoice in the healing and not in the pain.
    Rejoice in the challenge overcome and not in the past hurts.
    Rejoice in the present - full of love and joy.
    Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

The only times that I ever went to other churches were for weddings and funerals.

I have to say something about the Catholics though. My "last" husband was catholic but I never went until a friend of mine died. I was caught off gard with the usual stuff.[8>] I never stood up and sat down that much anywhere else except maybe the gym! As soon as a sat down and arranged my purse and what nots, damn everyone was standing up again. I felt really strange. up down up down up. I think I missed the entire service, I didn't hear a word, not that I could have understood it anyway. I spent the entire time anticipateing everyone around me so I wouldn't be either standing or sitting by miself. I was really tired after that.
    plmkrzy

plmkrzy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit